Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Hotpoint built under double cooker, model no BU72P.

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint built under double cooker, model no BU72P. 2 weeks ago the fan stopped and I ordered a new motor and fan yesterday. Also yesterday, which I believe is relevant, when using the main oven it suddenly stopped working and caused the main flip switch in the fuse box to turn off the electric supply to all sockets. As we no longer needed the oven I turned the power back on then turned the cooker off.

Today I fitted the new motor and fan and when I turned the main oven on it didn't work and I noticed the heating element now wasn't working either ( I changed this only a couple of years ago) which has been working whilst the fan hasnt been. My guess is something caused this to stop last night, causing the fuse box switch to flip.

I have checked the connections, the top oven is working, the main oven makes a noise as if it was working. I would be grateful for a straight answer as to wether the probable cause of neither parts working is an OBVIOUS/COMMON electrical fault or wether if it is an electrical fault there could be various reasons why and have an engineer to have a look at this would be time consuming and costly. I am thinking of going to a local appliance shop tomorrow to ask the same question but would be grateful for an answer from yourselves. Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

MasterFixIt :

hello are you there

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi David,
It is very possible that the heating element has gone bad as well but you need to test this to be sure you didnt just disturb a wire.
Do you have a multimeter?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
i David,
Do you have a multimeter?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't, does that confirm electric in the wires etc is live

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dave that would confirm power to the element, if there is power the for sure the element is bad.
But if no power exists at the element when ON then the trouble is a loose wire connection somewhere near the area you worked on.
I will help you figure this out but you can get even a cheat 220 VAC test light from any hardware store for less than $5.00.
You will need that to fix this.
If you rate in a positive fashion it will make sure the question wont time out and I will be able to schedule free follow ups with you so we can chat until we have this fixed.
Thanks Dave.
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, surely though the new motor and fan fitted today not working indicate theres some electrical/wire fault?, thanks

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Yes thats sure I doubt the element has anything wrong with it.
You would need to check your wiring, also make sure when you disconnected the old fan that you didn't accidentally pull any wire off is contact, that is 99% the reason nothing is working:-)
Even I have done that all techs do it. lol!
tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a case of removing the main two wires and the earth and putting them on the already there connections on the new motor. Could it be there was nothing wrong with the old motor & fan and there is an electric interruption/fault that stopped this working and then the heating element possibly last night and if so would this be costly for an en

gineer to look at

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi David thats also very possible, you could have a bad wire or connection.
The very first place to look is at the rear of the unit where the wiring block on the oven is.
Make sure all those wires are tight and the block isnt worn or burnt.
Let me know:-)
Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, bit difficult to do at the moment as its getting late here and the family have gone to sleep, I can have a look tomm and continue with our conversation, thanks

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good here too dinner time!
Talk to you tomorrow.
Mike