Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Trouble with whirlpool american fridge freezer

Customer Question

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you explain more on this fault please?

The drinking water and ice maker water come through seperate valves and piping so unless there's been a massive modification to your machine, the fault must be something other.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes this has me foxed, I have read all the posts on line and understand that there is a lot of common probs with these machines many of which are caused by the caps on the pcb rear/front. I have in the passed had both replaced twice and as you can understand ia pxxxxd off with paying out hundreds but I also need a working fridge freezer, so I'm trying to sort it myself with some success ill list what I have done so far maybe this will help you to help me
1. Door seals were hot to the touch so took panel off the back noticed that the condenser fan only worked after I nudged it with a pencil so I replaced it but didn't really help
2. The performance of the fridge freezer got gradually worse we had water inside the freezer dripping and refrezeeing and puddles on the floor that I blamed the kids for I turned the water off and the ice maker this may have helped for a day or two not sure
3. Then the alarm went off in the middle of the night and every thing defrosted
4. I purchased a new rear pcb from espares and fitted it the fault didn't clear at first after an hour or two I switched it back on and it worked ok but every few hours the water dispenser switched on and the exact same amount of water spilled out about half a mug I thought maybe this should go to the ice maker. The only time I have touched the water is to replace the condenser fan as pipes went through the fan housing have checked my pipes don't think I could have got them wrong as its obvious which goes where what about any of the electric connections ? Think they are ok too could the front pcb be faulty?
5. I unplugged the rear pcb and tried the old one again and it worked so I unplugged and put the pcb in its box switched on and back to the double dashes on the freezer reading and the alarm again I switched back to the new one and nothing makes me think the rear boards not at fault
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, It's not making logical sense here.

Fault 1 - Hot between the doors.

The transom between fridge and freezer gets hot when the condenser is blocked or the fan doesn't run.

You've replaced the fan, have you cleaned out the fluff from the condenser?

(Take the grill below the doors off to access the front of the condenser and the rear panel to access the rear of it).

Does the fan run now?

Fault 2 - Water dripping inside the freezer.

Have you switched off the ice maker?

If not, switch it off, does it stop the dripping water?

Remaining faults.

If water comes out of the water dispenser every few hours, what happens when you press the lever for a glass of water? Does it flood the freezer?

If yes, you have the pipes on the valves reversed.

Did you have them disconnected at the valve to replace the fan?

If yes, take them off and swap them over.

It's not going to be an electrical connection unless you physically removed the wiring to the valves, swapped them over and plugged them on again.

The double dashes in the display indicate the temperature in the freezer compartment is too high.

It will alarm until the temperature gets down to something like -13 degrees C inside the freezer compartment.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fault 1 yes the first thing I did was to Hoover out when that made no difference I looked at the fan. The compressor was running and no fan I touched the fan with a pencil and it started so thought the fan was at fault

Fault 2 i turned off the water supply this seemed to help but not really positive could there have been a partial defrost not sure

Fault 3 only seen happening after the pcb rear replaced although a amount of water had appeared on the floor at other times drips tracked back to the dispenser wasn't shore if it was the kids mucking about with water but now it seems to be the same amount at regular intervals and it defiantly comes from the water dispenser and the water dispenser works as it should otherwise
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, so the condenser is clean, clear and the fan is running.

Is it still hot between the doors?

I asked what happened if you pressed for drinking water.

Can you advise please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Condenser is clean fan is running not hot between doors

Water dispenses normally as it should

Freezer alarm still on
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, we can discount the fan and condenser now as they are not the cause of the problem.

Is the machine running and cooling properly at the moment?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's running and sounds normal freezer is saying not cold enough ie - - no water has come out the dispenser for a while have switch ice back on put a cup under the water and we will wait and see if it fills it (ice maker may not be linked to the water dispensing problem I don't know it was just a guess)

Thanks for your help so far
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

How long since it was switched back on?

Is it feeling colder in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3-4 hours but not as cold as it should be there is some bread in there and it's a bit soft not solid as it should be the fridge and freezer appeared to be working all day yesterday and to day until I tried swapping the rear pcb for the old one to see if it was the pcb was at fault and when I switched it back on it seemed to work ok until I switched it off and on again then the fault was back so put the new pcb back inn and fault still with us but no water dispensed as yet ???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just noticed the 18 is back on the freezer display
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

If it's gone from - - to 18, it's getting colder inside the freezer.

At the moment, it's colder than -13 degrees C.

You'll need to wait a few hours and see if it gets down to temperature, and then, what happens.

As to the water being dispensed, if it's a momentary activation of the valve, it suggests a wiring or main board fault.

You can't mix up the main board connections as they are all multi plug.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX make sense as to why when the old board worked whilst connected but not tucked back in to the back of the fridge. What I'm trying to say is once back in its box the wires to the pcb are moved about could this be the fault?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

It's very possible.

See what happens with it and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning,

Left the f/f running all night all is well with the temp freezer freezing fridge cold and ice in the bucket.

But the kitchen was flooded its still dispensing water at I think regular intervals half way through writing this I popped back to the kitchen and after I cleaned up I put a plastic container under the dispenser (not touching the flap/tap thing) and it had water in it. It doesn't drip it suddenly works just as if I was putting a glass under it
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Which board is currently fitted? new or old one.

Was it doing this prior to the new board being fitted?

Check the wiring harness going to the board, if it's damaged and shorting out as the board is being put back in place, this could cause it.

It can also be a fault on the new board.

You can prove this running with the board out (wiring if it works ok) and by refitting the old board for a while.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, just back from work before I read your reply have discovered another symptom

After emptying the tray of water from the dispenser I held a jug under and started to fill it with water after a while an alarm sounded and the ice cube and crushed ice symbols started to flash the water started to come poring out the ice shoot so at this point I have turned ice maker off from the front control and water off from appliance tap

Everything else seems ok do you want me to try what you suggested in last post?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok have got old board in just tried to fill a 1lt bowl of water and the ice cube alarm has gone off with water spilling out the ice maker so it does the same thing with boath boards however the old board does not seem to work the rest of the fridge freezer in the sence no noise from fans or condenser as yet (15mins)

Had a look at the wireing harness nothing visible wrong
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok old board has started compressor no fan oh yes the internal fan is going
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, I'd suggest checking the wiring to the valves for the water.

If you had them disconnected, the problem with water coming out of the ice maker is the wiring to the valves.

Basically, the power is going to the wrong valve when you want water and same when the ice maker wants water, it spills out the dispenser.

Unplug, swap the wiring on the valves over.

Plug in and try dispensing water.

If it's ok, refit the new board and reassemble the machine.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have to admit it would be unlike me to put something back wrong but I could well be at fault here problem is there are four wires that come from the pcb to the water valves and they are connected to the wire from the fan so I would have had to disconnect / reconnect them when I replaced the fan can you tell me which goes where please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had a closer look the 4 wires black white blue and brown seem to be in pairs brown and blue are a different size so have swaped them about a bit but when water comes out the dispenser it pisses out in the ice maker too
Could there be two faults ie a fault and a leak?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

The 12 digit number beginning 85 would be better, but, you need to post in sections of 4, eg. 8545 1234 5678

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

S20e rbb2v-a/g is this what you need whirlpool
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Blue and white are the water valve wires.

Black and Brown are the ice maker water

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I have them in pairs already would it matter which way round they are?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Yes, if you put the blue and white onto the ice maker valve, then, every time you press for dispensed water, it would feed the ice maker.

If you mean, the 2 connections on each valve, then no, the blue and white go either way round on the valve. Same with the other pair.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can confirm that wires were correct as their connectors are different sizes so they would have been on the correct valve sides. The problem is the same with either pcb
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

In that case (you shouldn't be able to get the connections on the board wrong) it suggests a fault in the wiring loom of your machine.

I don't think you can fit the 6 way connector the wrong way round into the board, it's keyed and should only fit 1 way.

Sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the board connections early on what about the valve would it be possible for that to fail? Or could the front board cause the problems

Anyhow I have disconnected the wires to the water valve to see if the ice maker remains active with out flooding the kitchen
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

No, the valves are powered direct from the main board.

The water dispenser sends a signal when you press the lever, this goes to the main board.

The ice maker sends a signal down different wires when it needs water.

As you get water when you press the lever and the ice maker at the same time, you have a short circuit somewhere.

You have this fault on both boards.

It only leaves the wiring.

The front board does not control the water, it's a simple microswitch activated by the lever.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks, I think I understand.

Will it be ok to carry on using the appliance with the wires for the water dispenser valve disconnected ? If so will the ice still work?

Thanks in advance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

The ice maker won't work as it won't be getting a water supply.

If you bags of ice into the ice bucket, it will dispense.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for all your help.

If there is a short I am wondering if it would be worth changing the fan as the wiring from the fan includes the wiring to the pcb and then onto the water valve all in the same connector this is the only other thing I have touched. Can't think of anywhere else that wires could short the valve can you?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

If it worked perfectly before then it should work after.

I'd be checking the new harness for the fan/valves against the old one to ensure they are the same.