Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

my dishwasher wont let water in but the element is heating

Customer Question

my dishwasher wont let water in but the element is heating and it seems as if it wont empty and the old waste has been there for a while and it sent it all over the machine is this the drain pump or the circulation pump or both
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

If you restart a wash cycle do you hear a faint humming noise from the bottom of the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes but this was the programme starting

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

Ok what it will be is the drain pump. As when you first start these up the drain pump kicks in to get rid of any water in there. If its not draining the water out then its going to be something to do with the drain pump.

Pull the dishwasher out and remove the side panels.

From there you will be able to access the pump.

Scoop out the water inside the dishwasher then you can remove the pump.

Check to see if theres anything stuck in there. If not and the pump impeller is stiff then the pump will need to be replaced.

This wont be the circulation pump as if it was you will still be able to drain the water out it just wont spray the water around.

So check the drain pump as from what you say this is were the fault lies.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i found the manual and it says that if we moved the dishwasher which we did in getting a new says we will have to start the pump by laying down the draining rod what does this look like because they also refer to the drain pipe

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

Laying down the drain hose just drains the water out.

So with the dishwasher pulled out get the drain hose and lay it flat down going into a bowl and gravity will drain the water out so then retry it and see if the pump kicks in.

Very rarely does this work but worth a try first just incase.

But the drain rod and hose they proberly mean the same thing.