Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Zanussi Fridge Freezer ZNB 323. The Fridge does not come down

Customer Question

Zanussi Fridge Freezer ZNB 323.
The Fridge does not come down to correct temperature unless the control is turned up to almost maximum. This causes the freezer to drop way below the required temperature.
There is ice on the roof of the freezer. The normal operating setting has been 2-3.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

If you empty the fridge section and feel the back wall does any part of it feel spongy like you can press it in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No but as expected the back of the Fridge has iced up due to high setting, it should automatically defrost before many hours have passed, or at least it has been doing that so far.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok so if you turn the fridge up to say about 4-5 is the fridge starting to warm up?

Does the whole back wall of the fridge get cold or just the top section?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the fridge temperature has dropped a couple of degrees and is now +8c and the icing up on the rear panel is mainly in to top half - basically thick at the top decreasing to water droplets nearer the bottom as the fridge operates its automatic defrost operation? For information the freezer is now running at -31c.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok if you have the freezer setting on the lowest then its shouldn't get no were near -31.

Do you have fast freeze turned on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the question but are you totally familiar with this model of Fridge-Freezer. There is no fast freeze setting. There is only one control on this model and it is within the Fridge compartment. It is supposed to automatically defrost both the fridge and/or freezer when required. Whilst the fridge has been defrosting itself the freezer has not. Anything to do with the drain for the freezer?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Just double checked the model again and theres 7 versions of this model.

If yours hasn't got a fast freeze switch then I take it the thermostat control is inside the fridge and not at the very top?

If you pull the fridge out at the back is the compressor is this hot to touch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the thermostat control is inside the fridge, on the right hand side wall near the top.

Yes the compressor is quite hot to touch, although I have just turned the control down to 3 and the compressor has stopped running and the fridge is defrosting whilst the temperature has remained at +8C. Should I have left is between 4-5?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

The 4 and 5 settings are warmer having a lower setting should get the fridge colder.

But if the fridge isn't getting as cold as it should and the compressor is hot this is looking like a system fault.

Its possibley a poor pumping compressor. As the compressor first pumps the gas around the freezer evaporator then up to the fridge evaporator. If its a weak compressor then its not able to pump the gas around the fridge proberly so you get this fault.

As the only control for the fridge section to get cold is the thermostat and the compressor. It wont be the thermostat as all this does is brings the compressor on and switchs off when its cold.

This will be why the freezer is getting to cold as the fridge isn't able to get to temperature so the compressor is running longer try to get the fridge cold but the freezer ends up to cold.

Im afraid you may find this will start to get worse over the next week or so.

But to cure this you will need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to put there gauges on the back to see what pressure the compressor is pumping at.

Sorry this isn't looking like good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The setting numbers on the thermostat control run from 0 up to 6. I may well be wrong but I understood that the lower the number used the higher the temperature. Over the years we have owned this appliance it has usually achieved below +5C on a setting just over 2. Since we have had the icing problem in the freezer section the temperature in the fridge has risen a few degrees which caused us to increase the control up to 3 and more. This reduced the temperature slightly. If the compressor motor is not running when you turn the control to a higher number this will cause the motor to start up. If you turn the control down to a lower number then the motor will stop running. I believe this therefore does not agree with you opening sentence in your last answer that 4 and 5 are warmer and a lower setting should get the fridge colder?? Incidentally in the short time I have had the control on 3 the fridge back has automatically defrosted as it should, the freezer temperature (according to the portable fridge/freezer thermometer) is up to -24C but the roof is still iced up, so it would appear the freezer auto deice is not working at present. Apologies if I have misunderstood you explanation. Hence my lengthy reply.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Looking in the service manual and going off past models the lower the setting the colder it is. So number 1 is the coldest and 6 the warmest. That how most fridges work it and the service manual shows it as that.

But setting it to 3 is about the correct setting.

But if the roof of the freezer is all iced up then it may be a defrost issue in there. As the freezer has a defrost heater and timer in there.

Try this if you can. Open the freezer and at the top you will see a vent.

This is clipped on so you need 2 flat screwdriver and insert them into the clips and prise the vent off.

From there you will see the evaporator. Wrapped around there is a thin silver tube going around the evaporator. This is the defrost heater.

Now go round the back and to the left of the compressor is a white plastic box. In there is the defrost timer.

You will see a round hole in the box.

Poke a flat screwdriver in there and turn the timer till it clicks and the compressor stops running.

Now the defrost heater should come on so give it a few minutes then go into the fridge and feel the heater wrapped around the evaporator but be carefull as they can get quite hot.

If its getting hot then its possibley a faulty defrost timer here.

But if it doesn't get hot at all then the defrost heater will be faulty.

What you can also try is a full defrost of the appliance. Turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will defrost the freezer evaporator. Then retry it and see what happens from there.

As the problem you are having with the fridge section could be due to the freezer not defrosting itself. So if this is the case then after the defrost it should be back to normal.

But check the defrost heater by the above and see what you find if you can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for new suggestions. Unfortunately the vent(s) at the top of the freezer are on the plate which is all iced up, so guess I will have to de-ice before proceeding further - this will take a day or three. Seem to remember there was ice behind the plate in the rear of the freezer the last time I did a de-ice. Maybe the fan blower is also iced up?? or inop???

Good news at the moment is that after leaving it alone for several hours on setting 4 the fridge has come down to +5C ish and has automatically defrosted. If required I will get back to you after the full de-ice on the freezer if you require or not if you do not need to know the result?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Check it out when you can. And yes I would like to know how it goes if you don't mend please.