drcool299
drcool299, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been an Appliance tech for the past 15 years. Worked on most of the branded appliances.
11923974

my smeg fridge/freezer is blocked I have had 4 visits from

Customer Question

my smeg fridge/freezer is blocked I have had 4 visits from a smeg engineer to try re gassing but no luck he says its dead
Expert:  drcool299 replied 4 years ago.

drcool299 :

Hello, when the engineers told you the unit is blocked, what do they mean? Did they explained to you what was blocked on your unit? Why they would tell you that it is dead and did they suggested that you just replace your unit?

drcool299 :

Have they used nitrogen gas to flush what ever could be blocking your system?

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

the first engineer filled it with gas but didnt use a gauge.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

the second one said it was overgassed having used a gauge.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

the second visit by the second engineer, he was dissapointed that it had not worked he then spent over an hour using the gauges to try to balance the gas.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

the next engineer sucked out the gas but the gauge still showed it as full up, so he said he could not get any more gas out and there must be a blockage, that is what happens on some occasions.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

I am very dissapointed the freezer is working perfectly, its just the fridge icing up un the back (outside) and not getting cold enough,

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

Do you thonk there is anything more i can do?

drcool299 :

Hello, If the freezer is working fine, then I would say you can still have the fridge working. Can you explain which part at the back is icing up? Was it just the pipe that came out of the unit and goes to the compressor is icing up?

drcool299 :

Do you notice if your fridge is frost less as well? Meaning, it has air vents where cold air should come out or is it the type where the back wall inside the fridge would frost up to cool the food inside the fridge, and is it still frosting up to now?

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

yes its just the pipe icing upat the bottom on the outside of the fridge.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

There is some ice on the inside back of the fridge but it is soft not as it should be

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

It is a SMEG model no:FAB30PS5 IT IS ONLY 8 YRS OLD

drcool299 :

Hello, thank you for the model number. If there is ice on the pipe as it comes out of the unit towards the compressor, then I would say, the unit has been over charged. There should be a weight of the refrigerant charge on the nameplate inside the fridge section. The nameplate could be a sticker on the fridge wall.. Ask the engineer to remove all the refrigerant, evacuate the system and charge the system by weight on the sticker inside the fridge section wall. That should be the correct amount of refrigerant.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

THE ENGINEER SAID HE COULDNT GET ALL THE GAS OUT, SO THERE MUST BE A BLOCKAGE, AND THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE HE COULD DO

drcool299 :

Hello, I would probably suggest that you talk to other engineers because you can deplete all the gas in the system by just letting it escape in an open line or a charging port. So there is no way he could not get all the gas out of the system. And even there is a blockade in the system, the refrigerant could still be taken out of the system.

JACUSTOMER-lmmlo7v9- :

i will try

drcool299 :

ok. Let me know the outcome. Thanks.