Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have an Hotpoint Freezer (R134A) which is about 15/18 years

Customer Question

I have an Hotpoint Freezer (R134A) which is about 15/18 years old. It seems to me that contents (particularly ice cream) are no longer held as hard frozen as I recall from the paet. I do not have a manual so am unable to establish whether the machine is operating at maximum freezing capacity and whether or not it has a temperature control button..

If I am right i my view is "the fault" the result of old age (of the freezer, I mean!!) is there something such as an overhaul that might rectify the is--or odes it mean a new machine?
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is Rob and I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isnt clear, please just ask me.

Can you recheck that model number please?

There should be a label inside, maybe behind a drawer, with the number on it

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have checked the model number. The only place it is visible is on the back plate at base of machine. When, accidentally, I found myself on the Hotpoint spares site I entered this model number and was presented with a list of available spares for this model. So, it exists.......!!

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ritchie

Normally R134a is the type of gas used in the appliance.

Ill opt out, maybe someone else can help you with this

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only other model description that I can find is "Iced Diamond". Does that help?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

As Rob correctly stated, R134a is the refrigerant used in the machine.

You've had a lot of parts listed for various machines using that as a model number.

On the Ice Diamond machines, the model number label was stuck to the underside of the top, visible when the door is opened.

Check to see if the model number is there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Sorry for delay. I am in top pf 3 story house and machine is on ground floor--long way!! Model No RZ80PR; other number 28100873

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, Hotpoint don't show a manual for this model.

Is it an upright or chest freezer?

I'm still searching on this model number but not having much luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's an upright freezer--a match for the upright domestic refrigerator. Could the difficulty in finding a manual be due to it's age, do you think?

Whilst I recognise that the question is a difficult one--a bit general-- the primary interest is in whether, in your experience, freezing power of these sort of machines "wears out" and is capable of being improved by an overall service (expensive though it would be) or whether it is best, perhaps, to start again--buy a new one. I am sure that my question is a bit "tricky" but will appreciate an informed opinion.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Yes, over time they lose efficiency.

What I'm trying to find is the instruction manual so you can check the thermostat setting.

The higher the number, the colder it gets.

An overall service, sorry, there's no such thing.

You'd be looking at a new compressor and regas, circa £200 to get it cooling again, if it's the system at fault.

If it's the thermostat cutting out too early then you'd be looking at a less expensive repair.

Unfortunately, I can only say a thermostat will cost between £30 and £100 (depending on the one fitted to your model).

Given the age of your appliance, I would suggest replacing it.

Even if you spend the £200 or so, everything else about the machine would still be old.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am grateful for that view and recognise "no liability"!!

You mention thermostat setting. I had looked for this a few days ago when I had the machine empty and away from the wall!! The only , to me, possible switch is on back low down by compressor. This appeared to be a rotating switch without a cover to rotate it and no settings guide!! If you can't find a manual I guess that you may not be able to help me with trying to identify location of thermostat settings!!

Thank you any way. Please be so kind as to advise if no further information available.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

It's possible that it's down there, however, normally it would be on the facia, marked 1,to 5 or 6.

The one at the rear, turn it fully clockwise for it's highest (coldest) setting.

I'll check tonight and see if I have a parts diagram for it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Will do as you suggest this evening.

Have "hunted" for another control switch and are left with the option described--so will do as you suggest and close off tomorrow with you. Many thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

No problem, just post when you can and I'll pick up again when I'm online.