Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I think my toddler has pressed some buttons whilst it was on

Customer Question

I think my toddler has pressed some buttons whilst it was on a wash cycle - start/pause button turned red - cannot get to restart and not sure what to do to get it working again - it has washing and some water in the drum - Zanussi zwh 6160 P - please help

Sharon
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Does your machine have a display or only lights?

Are any of the lights flashing?

Has the machine stopped full or empty of water?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just lights and not display - has some water in

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

As previous, are any of the lights flashing?

If it's faulty or child lock activated the lights flash.

Check on the facia panel, is there a picture/symbol of a child or padlock?

Normally it's between 2 buttons.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry yes the start/pause button is flashing red and cannot see a child or padlock symbol but there is a symbol that looks like a washing basket with a plus sign above it and this is inbetween the spin & super quick buttons - hope this helps

Sharon

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, look at the start light.

It should be flashing a sequence.

Count the flashes between pauses and let me know how many.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just counted the flashes - got to 60 without any pause?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The fault isn't making logical sense.

It's extremely unlikely that it's been button pressing causing the problem as you say the light goes green when you press it.

I would have expected 2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes etc.

Are you able to cancel the program and select a new one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - I have done this but nothing seems to happen except you can hear a noise like it is wanting to start but nothing happens then eventually the button flashes red again

Sharon

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, I'm assuming you are able to cancel the program.

If that is the case, you'll need to manually drain the water out via the filter.

Put a shallow dish down (and towels) and slacken the filter cap a little.

Tighten it when you need to empty the dish.

Once you have the machine empty of water, fully unscrew the filter cap and pull out the filter.

Remove the debris jamming the pump.

Ensure the X shaped pump impellor can turn.

Refit the filter and try the machine again.

If all is well, it should be working again.

Obviously, if you cannot do the work yourself, you'll need to get someone in to do the work for you.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not aure where this is and mu hibby is out at the moment - as soon as he returns I will do as you have said and hopefully this will get it started again - Thanks for your help

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

The filter is at the bottom front of the machine.

Unless it's integrated you should have a door/flap that opens to reveal it.

On some, it's below the front panel