Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a 30 amp electric aga which is about 25 years old which

Customer Question

I have a 30 amp electric aga which is about 25 years old which doesn't seem to heat up properly even if I turn the dial on the electric control panel to maximum. The seems ok. Could an element have ceased working? and how would I know? Any advice appreciated.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

MasterFixIt :

hello

MasterFixIt :

when it heats, what exactly happens?

MasterFixIt :

Does it not get to temp?

MasterFixIt :

Or does it get too hot?

MasterFixIt :

Please let me know

MasterFixIt :

Please answer on Q & A I switched it there for us:-)

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jan,
hello

when it heats, what exactly happens?

Does it not get to temp?

Or does it get too hot?

Please let me know

Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It heats up overnight but the line on the mercury doesn't get much passed the back and nowhere near the centre line.

I've looked at lots of forums and discussion groups for Aga and they all suggest its the fan but I can see mine is working ok.

Jan

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Jan,
May I have the full model number so I can tell you exactly what to replace.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I have no idea. It was fitted when I bought the house 12 years ago. I know it runs on economy 7 and it has 2 ovens. In the current brochure they describe it as the 2 oven night storage model and the code is EC

Jan

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jan, thats ok as they all really have the same cause of the problem.

Usualy this will be one of two things .

If only 1 oven is doing this, then the trouble is the thermal probe mounted to the rear of the oven inside.

Thats easy and inexpensive to replace .

But if this is happening to both ovens, then the cause is the main control board and that will need to be replaced. Its a bit more work but not too difficult ;-)

I will help you with this in any case. But since this will take some time to do and i will locate the part for you or the source so you can get that.

Please rate me as good service or better so I can schedule free follow ups with you.That makes your question locked in with me until we have this repair done.

It alos wont cost you anything further to do that and your question will not time out or close:-)

Thank you Jan.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

I've not used this service previously so would prefer to do rating at the end once you've investigated and advise me what part(s) I need.

I would also like to know if it could be an element as per original question and how I can check this?

Does an AGA have a thermal probe? I haven't come across this before.

Interested in your further advice re the control panel.

Jan

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi The temp probe tells the main control how much power to send to the elements and when to stop heating.
I would replace that because it does heat somewhat. Thats a key in this diagnosis.
Also its not very expensive to replace. The main board, is a couple hundred dollars US.
The probe is about $40.00 or less.
But like I was saying, if this happens with both ovens it is definitely the main control board that will need to be replaced it it is even still available.
I will need the model # to try and locate this part for you.
Like I was saying if both ovens are exhibiting the same symptoms the main board will need replacement to get this unit up and running again, but if its only one oven then the problem is likely the fault.
I have been working on ovens for over 30 years so i feel pretty confident in the diagnosis :-)
I will be here I need the model # and to know if both ovens are doing this.
There is one more possible issue, if one of the main power lines running to the oven is tripped at the breaker(and you can check this) by flipping the main off and then back on. see if that helps?
Or you may have a bad connection at the plug or on the rear of the oven where the wires connect to the block.
That also happens all of these things can cause this problem unfortunately.
The reason i asked you to rate is to protect the question as they can time out or end. If you rate ok service or better, the system will let me schedule free follow ups so you can contact me anytime as we will be working through these issues til we find the one.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Does your answer relate specifically to the 30amp night storage economy 7 AGA. It reads to me as if you think it is a normal electric oven which it isn't. It works on radiant heat stored overnight not normal cooker elements. I need an experienced AGA technician to help me. Do you have this experience? or should I ask someone else?

It doesn't have a temperature probe as far as I can find out it heats up based on timer overnight using Economy 7 tariff.

Let me know if you can help me.

Jan

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Jan, I do know what you are talking about. But there is a temp sensor in there because it needs to know when to turn off.

I would suspect that first, but in this case as I researched this further for you, that unit may simply have a bad control, not a bad element.

But the very first thing you need to check, is the power coming into the oven with a meter at the rear of the unit.

There is a wiring block where the wires connect to the oven. A lot of times the block will fail mainly due to heat exposure over time and considering the age of the unit I would be checking the wires and making sure you have the proper voltage, 220 VAC for that unit.

Please keep in mind that I will stick with you on this till we have it solved, but if you rate me it just ensures that the question wont time out or close. I then can schedule free follow ups so we can continue no matter how long this takes. That's up to you, but I will guide you every step of the way:-)

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I would like an answer from an experienced AGA engineer about this particular model not info about electric cookers in general.