Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Hi - we have had a Trianco Greenflame 28kwh domestic boiler

Customer Question

Hi - we have had a Trianco Greenflame 28kwh domestic boiler installed recently and it is consuming 1 bag (10kg) of fuel (pellets) per day just for hot water. Is there anyway that we can calculate what the consumption might be based on 3 bed (1850) mid-terrace cottage (rural) with 4 adults for winter heating on average please?
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 4 years ago.

Plumbers_Mate : Whoever sized the boiler should have done it so it runs for 1314hrs a year.
Plumbers_Mate : that would work out at the size of the boiler multiplied by 1314hrs
Plumbers_Mate : this turns into kWH of running time
Plumbers_Mate : This then converts into the amount of fuel once you know how much fuel your boiler burns prt kWh run
Did you understand this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry I don't understand why the figure 1314 hours is being used?

This is the annual running hours for a standard uk house.
Whoever sized your boiler should have worked it out using this formula.
If you let me know the size of the boiler in kW, then we multiply by 1314hrs to give kWh.
We then convert this into fuel usage by finding out from the fuel people about the amount of kWh per unit of fuel

Do you understand now?
Let me know if you don't