Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

my fridge freezer is broken. The fridge compartment is working

Customer Question

my fridge freezer is broken.
The fridge compartment is working fine. The freezer has completely thawed out. I have reset the alarm but it is not working. I have switched on the super freeze but this has not made any difference. Any ideas?
Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi May I have the full model # XXXXX I can assist you further?

Also please check the rear wall inside the FREEZER for me and let me know if there is any frost build up anywhere on that wall, you will need to remove the food first.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no model number on the instruction booklet. On the plate inside the number KIU26444GB / 01 is stamped

It is an integrated fridge freezer, with no defrost facility and super freeze facility.

In the freezer back wall there is a fan motor. None of this back wall has ice on it. The freezer completely defrosted, possibly after a power cut. I cannot be sure as \I was away on holiday. The refrigerator is working fine. The freezer will now not work and just shows AL in the temperature display

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Colin, that is the model #:-)

You will need to remove the rear wall inside to see the cooling coils and let me know what they are doing, cold, frosty, warm etc?

Also please make sure the fridge is keeping cold enough as it should.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed the rear wall and fan. The coils are cold to the touch but not unbearably cold. There is a small "expanded vessel" in the pipe. This feels warmer. There is a small amount of condensation on the coils but not much. There is no frost in any part of the freezer

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi Colin,

Thank you for checking this. The unit unfortunately has a slow leak.

You will need an AC/fridge man to fill and seal that for you.

They have a sealant in some of the Freon, but you cant do this yourself unless you have a coolant license:-(

It shouldn't cost too much if you have an honest tech.

I would call around to some of the local appliance repair shops to see how much they would charge.

Pick the lowest cost tech because the fix is the same:-)

I doubt very much that any parts are needed based on your input.

I will stick with you on this so if you will rate my service before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule Free follow ups with you so we can remain on this until it is fixed and no additional charges apply:-)

Thank you Collin and have a nice afternoon!

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

I have spoken to two engineers locally.

Unfortunately they both disagree with you as the refrigerator is keeping a constant temperature, they say that there is no leak. they believe that a valve or controller has gone.

Expert:  Michael replied 4 years ago.

Hi Colin that is very possible as well or a sealed system problem, ask them about that as well. Especially if you see frost on parts of the coils and not others.

Please keep me informed .

Tech Michael