Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

We have an elderly but highly reliable Z 1130 VPR freezer.

Customer Question

We have an elderly but highly reliable Z 1130 VPR freezer. But suddenly the red light has come on. The equally elderly manual instructions we have doesn't precisely correspond to the light system, and the switches involved. How do we get it to resume freezing again?
Expert:  drcool299 replied 3 years ago.

drcool299 :

Hello, I guess the unit is too old that info on this unit is not available online but if you can post pictures of the unit, and with some more description of the problems, some sounds that you could hear , would help me trouble shoot your unit and maybe we can have it freezing again.

drcool299 :

Take pictures of the whole unit, the inside, the controller, the compressor side, and anything that you think would help me diagnose your unit.

drcool299 :

Make the sizes of the picture small so it could be uploaded fast. Please use the paper clip icon on top of this box where you type your response and attach the pictures you have taken.

drcool299 :

Hopefully, I can help you diagnose your unit.

drcool299 :

Do you notice if your compressor ( black steel ball ) is running? vibrating? hot to touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle )

drcool299 :

Is this a free standing freezer only? or a fridge/ freezer? Is this a walk in freezer?

drcool299 :

By the way, the red light that has come on is an indication that the unit is way above its operating temperature. It is a visible alarm telling you that it is warming up.

Customer:

We know the red light means it is warming up. We made that plain in the question. Could you tell us what we need to do with the other switches to reverse the situation and cool it down. That is what we, rather urgently, (it is a freezer), need to know. Please advise us soonest.

drcool299 :

That is my problem, I can not locate your unit online so I can not suggest where to place the switches. What about the compressor, have you seen it and can you please answer my inquiries regarding the compressor.

Customer:

I am afraid I have no idea where the compressor is. Are you familiar with the model of Zanussi freezer we have and so could advise us on what to do?

drcool299 :

No sir/madame, I am sorry, I am not familiar. I asked so many questions because I do not know your unit. But if you want help, I can help you if you would give me info as well as to what is happening on your unit. But if you do not want me to work with you, that is fine sir/madame, I will opt out if you wish so.

Customer:

What info do you want? All we have is a range of switches at the bottom of the unit. Currently the light is on red. All we want to know is which switch we should slide across where to reverse the situation. There are no other visible parts or lights or switches anywhere else. I appreciate that if you are not familiar with the Zanussi model we have then you will find this hard. Are there any other technicians available who are familiar with the model of freezer we have?

drcool299 :

If you can post the picture of the switches you are referring to, then maybe I can tell where to place them. If you would be waiting for other technicians that could be familiar with your unit, then I will opt out. This would bring your question on top of the list again, but if nobody takes it, then you would end up waiting and your freezer would keep on thawing. what I will do is state an open message here that any expert out there who is familiar with your unit can PM me and I will opt out and give the question to him but while no one is addressing this, I will try my best to help you freeze your unit back again. Hows that sounds?

Customer:

I am not at home with the freezer at the moment so cannot send you a pic of the switches. All we need is someone who knows the unit and so could provide advice.

Customer:

Though I was at home during the first couple of hours of the four hours we had to wait before receiving a response and could have produced a picture then.

drcool299 :

Ok. I will opt for the moment, just wait if there would be an expert that would jump in and help you with your problem. If there would be none, we can continue tomorrow, I could opt back in, and hopefully, I could help you with your problem. Thank you for using this service. Please do not rate me now even though the site would ask you to rate me because our chat would finished once I opted out.

drcool299 :

If nobody would take the question, please post the picture after you come back home and I will opt back to continue with your problem. Thank you for using this service.

Customer:

OK

Customer: Have taken the photograph on my phone. How do we post it to the site for for you?
Expert:  drcool299 replied 3 years ago.

If your phone can access internet, then log back in to this site, then post then pictures using thew paper clip icon on top of this box where we type our responses.

If the phone can not access internet, then transfer the pictures first to a pc, then use the pc to log back to this site then post the pictures using the same paper clip icon .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Proving impossible. The phone, via internet, does not show the paper clip icon. Do you have an email address I could send it to from my phone?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  drcool299 replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for your frustrations. Yes, in some web browser, the paper clip icon would not appear.

I am sorry but we are not allowed to give personal email address.

I will contact the administrator and they would help you with the posting of the picture problem.

-
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am Tech Michael, I will try to solve this for you.
How old is the freezer?
Thank you Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

25 years. Never had a problem before.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

HI things dont last as long as they used to, but you may have a sealed system issue.
Can you tell me if there is heavy frost build up on the rear wall in the freezer?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check when home this evening. But, the freezer having steadily defrosted, a heavy frost may not be there. I will let you know.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good, please let me know, I have other things for you check also:-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No heavy frost, the freezer having defrosted. We have been chucking out mounds of food this morning. And I suspect, having taken the best part of a week to get to this point, we will just have to accept that the freezer is defunct and that we simply need to buy a new one.

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi this is likely and unfortunate, there is whats termed as a sealed system problem.
It means that there is a freon leak and the tubes have become contaminated.
I wish I had better news for you on this I really do.
But even I wouldn't go through this expense:-(
Please if my advice was helpful at all, rte my service as ok or better so I can receive credit for my time.
I will still be here at no additional cost you if you have any further questions:-)
Have a great day!
Tech Michael