SparePartspro
SparePartspro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Mech / Electrical Tech, Appliance Service Tech, PAT Test Eng
41227295

The ignition for the central burner on my gas hob ticks unceasingly.

Customer Question

The ignition for the central burner on my gas hob ticks unceasingly. The only way I can stop it is by turning it off at the mains. How can I stop it so that it only ticks when I am lighting it?
Expert:  SparePartspro replied 3 years ago.

SparePartspro :

Thank You for using JustAnswer - My name is Tony and I am more than happy to help with your question today.

It could be that the spark electrode has got damp or dirty.
Take off the offending burner cap and with the power off check and clean the electrode.
Make sure you dry it thoroughly then try again with the power on.
Let me know how it goes.

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

have done this - unfortunately no change. Anything else I can do?

SparePartspro :

The electrodes are connected via a wire from the spark generator.
Try swapping the leads around to see if the fault moves to another electrode.
If so then either it's a faulty lead or the spark generator is faulty.
If the same electrode continues so spark as you describe then you need a new electrode.

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

I'm not clear what leads I have to try and swap around. The lead from the mains disappears into the underneath of the hob which is a sealed unit. Please clarify.....

SparePartspro :

The electrode to each of the burners are fed via a lead or wire from the spark generator.
You need to remove the top of the hob to do gain access.
There is no simple or quick way of doing this.

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

OK, so I have to get in a contractor, which is what I was hoping to avoid by calling you guys! Looking at it another way, if I could disable the electrode for the centre burner, I'd be happy to use a match to light it, since it's probably the burner that I use the least often. In other words, can I bust it? A sharp blow with a hammer? Or would that cause more problems than it solved?

SparePartspro :

If you can take the back of the stove off you may be able to see enough under the hob to unclip the lead to the centre burner.
Last resort is to cut the wire.
Try to avoid hitting it with a hammer.
You don't need a contractor in to do this, it is something you can fix your self with a little time and patience.
Let me know how you get on.

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

OK thanks. The hob is built in to the worktop (it's completely separate from the oven etc) so I can't get at the back of it. I'll investigate how it's attached, but I won't be able to do this quickly as I've got to do some work, and am away from tomorrow for a few days. Can we please put this conversation on hold until I get back next week?

SparePartspro :

On the underside of the hob are 4 fixing plates that secure the hob into your work surface.
If your oven is directly below the hob then you must remove the oven from the housing.
Just reply back when you are ready.

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

Hello again. I've had another go. I can't see the fixing plates you describe; the hob appears just to sit in the worktop.I can just lift it clear of the worktop, just about an inch, which enables me to see that the electric wiring disappears into a sort of junction box. I can't see where it goes after that. I don't want to lift the hob any higher as the gas pipe is rigid and I don't want to damage it. The oven is in a completely different place - below the hob there are just cupboards. I've tried to detach the top of the hob from its housing (there are four screws around the centre burner, and two round the others), but two of the screws at the centre burner are immoveable. I've given them a good squirt of WD40 but they won't budge and are starting to burr. Any more suggestions?

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

I'm going to be away for a week so it will have to wait until w/c Oct 7th

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

Sorry, I was away for rather longer than a week. Have you given up on me?

JACUSTOMER-o47aw3za- :

Have just checked the hob, and now all five burners are clicking. This must mean that it's an electrical fault rather than just with one electrode - ?

Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
He seems to be away at the moment. Can I check if it lights automatically or you have to press a button?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I switch it on at the mains, the electrodes on all five burners start clicking. All burners light correctly in the normal way, which is to press down the tap/switch and turn through 90 degrees,(which turns on the gas), but normally they only click when I press down on the tap/switch. But the electrodes go on clicking until I turn it off again at the mains. When switched off, the burners can be lit with a match without difficulty. Does this make it clear?

Can you post back a model number.
I suspect that under each gas control knob is a small microswitch that actuates the spark generator.
The microswitch may be sticking.
Try pull the control knob off and check the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model no is Neff T2766NO. I've pulled off a couple of the switches, but there's just another plastic housing which doesn't appear to be moveable. Does each burner have an individual microswitch? I can't believe they all are sticking, as when this problem started it was only the central one that was clicking. Can I give you any more info?

It will only take one switch to stick to make the generator spark like it does.
I'll check the drawing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, I'll wait for more news.

Looking at the drawing there is a set of microswitches mounted on the gas valve.
With the control knob removed, lift out the rubber grommet around the hole.
You should see the switch mounted on the valve.
Try actuating each of the switches, it could be that one off them are sticking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've managed to get all five knobs off, but as I said in an earlier e-mail, I can't unscrew the top of the hob because two of the screws at the centre burner won't move. I can prise it up about an inch which enables me to see a bit of what's underneath. I can get the rubber grommets off all the knobs, but I can't see anything that looks like a switch. Can you tell me what I should be looking for? I may only be able to feel it with my fingers as I can't remove the top. What's new is that each time I test it by turning on the electricity, different burners are clicking. Ironically, the centre one where it all started, has now stopped clicking.

I think this because the microswitches are sticking.
Take look at this picture on this link.
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/switch/product.pl?pid=907941&query=412289

If this is what is faulty you may not have to remove the hob at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Those five black things certainly look like what is sitting on the base of the knobs. Is it your recommendation that I buy it and try and fit it myself? Firstly, it says that it should only be fitted by a suitably qualified or competent person (which I am not!), also because I can only lift the hob up about an inch, I can't see where the blue and brown leads come from or go to. Also, the black things don't want to come off, and I'm nervous about using force, especially when I can't see properly what's going on inside.

I would only recommend buying parts once I am happy with a diagnosis.
What we have spoke about is a guide to help you deduce where the fault lies.
My suggestion was that the microswitches could be sticking, you need to prove that is the case.
If not then you need to consider the spark generator is faulty.

Copy this link in to your browser address bar.

http://www.neff-eshop.com/eshop/neff/gb/prodp.htm?prod=T2766N0%2f01&ESHOPTYPE=A

This is the break down of your hob.
If you are not confident enough to do this repair or is beyond your capabilities then I suggest you find a local service tech to do the work for you.

Failing that I can continue to guide you through the repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I'm going to have to pack it in for today, as I need to do some cooking. I'll get back to you - thanks for your help

Let me know when you are ready to continue by replying here when you are ready.
I will be notified when you reply.
If you do decide the get someone in to help you, do let me know how it goes.