SparePartspro
SparePartspro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Mech / Electrical Tech, Appliance Service Tech, PAT Test Eng
41227295

Whirlpool S20D RSB33-A/G, Service 858615815010 Fridge Freezer

Customer Question

Whirlpool S20D RSB33-A/G, Service 858615815010

Fridge Freezer had clicking relays for a years plus but it was only when freezer stopped cooling that I did anything about it. I brought a capacitor kit. Chnaged C1 and this fixed the clicking but not the cooling.

Everything appears to be working, no clicking etc. I can hear the fan inside the freezer and the compressor fan comes on. However there is no sign of activity from the compressor.

If I leave if off for 7 hours plus, it does start to get cold, so am assuming compressor has started, but this this stops after half an hour or so.

Can only assume it must be a problem with the compressor relay.
Expert:  SparePartspro replied 3 years ago.

SparePartspro :

Thank You for using JustAnswer - My name is Tony and I am more than happy to help with your question today.

Does the top of the compressor get hot when it is running.
If so then if the compressor does start then it could either be the relay or the run winding in the motor that has failed.
You could try checking the winding resistances of the compressor.
You should be able to get 3 readings.
2 are the same and one will be roughly 2/3 the value of the other 2 combined.
Let me know what you think.

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

I have not been able to check the compressor as can only get it running once it has been left for 7 hours plus - I plan to check this in the comming hours.

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

I cannot get the front cover off the connection box/relay to check resistances, it appears to have catch on it that I cannot seem to open.

SparePartspro :

Different manufactures have different ways of securing the terminal box cover.
There may be to lugs on the underside that have to be depressed in order to release the cover.
If the compressor isn't starting then check the amp tag or shunt that is fixed to the side of the compressor where the terminal pins are.
This works similar to a thermal cut out.

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Ok, managed to get the cover off - checking for shorts first, blue wire is shorted to earth when the control board is installed, when removed blue is not connect to earth.

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Does this indicate a fault rlay on the control board?

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Sorry not great typing, I will repeat the last question. Does this indicate a faulty relay on the control board.

SparePartspro :

Quite possible but it could be that the fault has stemmed from some where else so it's worth checking the windings in the compressor

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Ok I will go and check these, back in two minutes

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Cannot see where to measure these, the connections i have are L1, L2, N and earth.

SparePartspro :

You have 2 switching wires and Neutral.
You really need to be down to the compressor level such that the terminal pins are exposed on the compressor wall.

JACUSTOMER-emhhhxh3- :

Just spoken to someone else, they seem to be convinced that it is the control board. I will send this off to get repaired.

SparePartspro :

Indeed but what you need to be asking yourself is what caused the board to burn out.
Let me know how it goes.