Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

recently bought hotpoint fridge freezer ffaa52p(new) motor

Customer Question

recently bought hotpoint fridge freezer ffaa52p(new) motor noise is loud had the commpresser changed no improvement .hotpoint say noise is normal .we find above accpetable limit .the hotpoint it replaced was alot quieter.both frost free .I suspect cheap manufacture cost Hotpoint do not want to know can I get a refund of hotpoint!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Did you purchase it from Hotpoint or elsewhere?

How old is the appliance?

Was it noisy from day 1?

How long did you wait to report the noise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We bought it from Coop on line store in late July 2013..

It was a couple of weeks after delivery when we installed to and it was noisy from the start. We rang Hotpoint within 2 days, having left it to see if it settled down in that time.

Initially they said they could send an engineer but if there was no fault we would be charged. I negotiated an 'no charge' call on the basis that noise cannot be described over the phone.

Engineer came next week and said noise was normal, 40 dcbs as stated but offered to change the compressor.

Spoke to Coop to see if they would change the fridge but they referred us to the manufacturer as the product was, in their view, fit for purpose.

Agreed to have the compressor changed but it has made no difference.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Unfortunately, if the noise is within the stated parameters, then it's fit for purpose.

You can't use the distance selling regulations now as it's more than 7 days since you received it.

I'm afraid there's really nothing you can do now.

However, if you decide to fight this, it's the Co-op you have to fight.

You purchased the item from them.

Hotpoint have no contract with you (other than supplying a warranty for 1 year).

The only way you can fight this one is if the appliance is noisier than stated.

Sorry, not the news you were hoping for.

If you can get hold of a meter to measure the noise, it's worth checking to see if it actually exceeds the stated figures.

If it does, you can reject the goods as they are still noisier than stated after repair.

Check it out, it's about the only avenue left to you (unless the Co-op are willing to do something under customer relations).

Sorry

Good luck with it.