Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi Daniel Hope you remember me from before, trying to change

Customer Question

Hi Daniel
Hope you remember me from before, trying to change over a thermostat in a Bosch fridge.
Have now purchased the thermostat and trying to fit it: have unscrewed the small screw but the housing thingy does not come off. I cannot pull it off, or slide it off. Would there be another screw somewhere I can't see?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay yes I remember this one.

With the bulb cover off at the back do you see another screws there?

If not and with the front screw off try and push the fitting backwards or pull forwards and see if it will come off that way and let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Daniel - nice to contact you again. And my apologies for delay in answering - had to go out with dog, etc.

How do I remove the bulb cover? It appears to be solidly attached.

I have also tried to push the whole housing back and forth, and nothing moves.

Shirley

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number again please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

E-Nr. KIR 1833/01

TYP KI 5R 18.2

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok there isn't much info on the removal of the light cover.

Normaly its just clipped into place.

Try and see if you can pull it out from the back or slid the cover backwards.

Its made to be taken off by the customer to access the bulb so it should come off quite easy.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - managed to remove the cover with long screwdriver.

The thermostat I've purchased has a long silver wire about 2ft attached to one end. In the fridge the current thermostat has a wire that goes into a small hole in the inside skin but only about 3 inches is showing. Am I supposed to push the new wire into that hole, and what if its too long, and is it supposed to touch something?

There are 3 wires (from L-R brown, purple, black) from the current thermostat to the housing, appears to be push on type. There is also a white plastic cover over the current thermostat. Does this just prise off to get new one on?

As you can tell, I'm no DIYer.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok the silver wire is the capliery and that pushes through the liner to the evaporator at the back.

So the old one will pull out and then you can slide the new thermostat down through the liner until you cannot push it any further.

As to the wires does the push on block not fit the new thermostat?

If not then you may need to retag the wires on there own and wire it up.

Not sure if you can put if so can you post a picture on here of the wiring block?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daniel - I'm giving up!!

I can't figure it out, can't get the old thermo out, can't take wires off, can't get dial off, can't attach photos.

Am asking a friend to have a look tomorrow and see if he can fix.

Very many thanks for your input - it's just me, not electrically or mechanically minded.

Best regards

Shirley

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok no worries good luck with it and hopefully your friend can sort it for you.

But if you need any further help tomorrow just get back to me.