Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a problem with my hotpoint freezer.

Customer Question

I have a problem with my hotpoint freezer. I don't have the paperwork ,but a sticker on the door says HZ01B. It's been defrosted recently ,though I notice when I last did it that the frost was rather concentrated on the right hand side, at the top .Only the top few drawers freeze-those below, including ones with blue compartmentalised ice-makers, are just cool .There is a red light at the top, and an orange one shows up if I move a little slide , but I can't get a green even though I turn the little dial up to 4 . Any ideas please ? yours,Adrian XXXXXXX ,XXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXX

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

If you feel the compressor at the back at the bottom is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately it's a fitted freezer, and I cannot get round the back.But I put my hand in the lower drawer,and it feels cool.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.

Ok you need to feel the compressor itself im afraid.

But from what you say it more then likely will be. As if tis only freezeing the top section of the freezer and not the bottom then the compressor is running but its not able to pump the gas around the system fully.

Its either a poor pumping compressor or its short of gas. As the freezer cannot get below -14 that's why the red light is on. Only until get below that then the green light will come on so as its doing this its not going to bring the green light on im afraid.

You have a system fault so im afraid you need to get a fridge engineer in as they will need to remove the appliance and put there gauges on the back to see what the gas level is and what pressure the compressor is pumping at. Im afraid this isn't a DIY fix as it needs special equipment to do this.

But also this isn't going to be cheap. As a new compressor fitted is about the £200 mark and if its short of gas you are looking at about the £140. But im afraid until you have a fridge engineer in you wont know which it is. Most of the time though its the compressor at fault going weak.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.