Rick
Rick, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years Service Experience as a technician. Experienced on both High End and regular Appliances
15929851

I have a Whirlpool american fridge freezer CFS 801S. The motor/compressor

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool american fridge freezer CFS 801S. The motor/compressor seems to be working most of the time and the freezer alarm sounds when it frosts up inside. If I empty the freezer and defrost it for a few days when I start it up again it runs Ok for 2 to 3 weeks and then the same thing happens. This has been going on since a very hot period in late August. Can you suggest a possible cause of this? Thanks Nick
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Hello Nick, my name is Rick and I will assist you today

Rick :

There is something out or order in the defrost cycle of this unit, it can be the heater itself, a defrost thermostat or even the control board cycling the defrost.

Rick :

The reason you are noticing more often with higher heat and most likely humidity, is when you open the freezer there is more warmer air entering the unit, then during normal weather. If it is doing it now though it will continue to do this when the weather cools, just taking longer

Rick :

When you defrost do you remove the rear panel to expose the coil?

JACUSTOMER-s16s9a44- :

When I defrost I do not remove the rear panel, just leave the doors open for a couple of days.

JACUSTOMER-s16s9a44- :

Would the malfunctioning defrost cycle cause the motor to be going most of the time. It is now not so hot but the motor still runs most of the time

Rick :

It can play a factor, because when the freezer freezes up it is not allowing good air flow through the unit and the thermostats tell the compressor to run longer to try and compensate for the higher temps.

Rick :

How old is the unit?

JACUSTOMER-s16s9a44- :

About 6 years old

Rick :

The next time you defrost the unit, take off the back panel in the freezer. there you will see the coil, inspect the heater and make sure all connections are good. That is the easiest and the first step, unless you call out service