Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My washing machine is not working properly, ZWF1221W, it fills

Customer Question

My washing machine is not working properly, ZWF1221W, it fills and empties but the drum has stopped turning, this started to happen after the electricity supply went off it had been washing ok with a full wash load.
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

If you put the machine to spin, is there any movement or agitation?

If you select a hot wash, after ift fills, how long have you left it, before you have checked if the water is heating?

Can you also tell me how old this machine is and was this a power cut?
If yes, was the machine turned on when the power went off and came back on?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Machine is approx 3 years old, the power was turned off in the house without checking if any appliances were on, there is no aggitation the drum isn't moving @ all, I ahve tried leaving it on a programme to do a complete cycle whilst empty and gone back @ least and hour later and it hasn't heated up, I have never had any problems with this machine and I have always had Zanussi machines because of the reliability.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.

Hi Denise

I am afraid I think this is bad news.

If you had one of those problems it would not be so bad. I would say it was the carbon brushes in the motor OR the heating element.

However, because this has twin problems and they occurred at the same time as a possible power surge, I would suspect that this is the main control board at fault.

Unfortunately, due to its complex electronics, this can not be tested at home, and is very expensive to replace.

I would suggest a fixe price repair for this, as this includes all the parts needed for the repair.

Please let me have yourpostcode and Ill get a quote for you

Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The machine has started heating up but the drum is still not going round this at least is one thing solved, I had pulled the machine out to make sure all was ok so maybe that has solved the heating up problem (maybe it was off kilter) now I need to know about the drum not working, possible cause and cost if repair needed. CV47 2TZ

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Denise
Thats great

OK, if its now just the motor not making any noise at all it will be either the carbon brushes or the motor control board. Given that it was working OK, my instinct says its the board.

The cheapest way to get this repaired is through British Gas who do a fixed price scheme. This includes the call out, all labour, all parts and the vat. The quote is £125. If its the board that needs replacing, the cost is nearly £100 just for the part !!

If you would like to book this please call 0800(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
If you need more help, please just ask me.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Rob