Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

My dishwasher overflows when draining. I have rodded the drainpipe

Customer Question

My dishwasher overflows when draining. I have rodded the drainpipe and it is clear. I have raised the drain pipe to create a steeper angle, the sink drains through the same pipe and has never had a problem.

The dishwasher drain pipe comes out of the back of the washer goes up and through the half loop provided and into the 40mm pipe vertically below. This goes vertically down inti the U bend that is 0.90m above the floor.

Is the fact that the water drains out of the back of the dishwasher, round the inverted U bend, straight down into the proper U bend. The aste water splashes straight back out of the top of the down pipe. Isw this because the U bend is directly under the drain?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

I know you've said that you've cleaned the drain but there has to be a restriction somewhere. At some point the drain has a restriction.

The dishwasher isn't at fault.

Your drain can't cope with the flow of water so it backs up and spills over.

You can't adjust the draining of the dishwasher to slow it down, if you restrict it, you'll cause problems with the dishwasher itself.

Don't put the drain hose too far into the stand pipe, it only has to go in 2 or 3 inches.

You may well have to take the drain pipework apart to ensure it's all clear and not just a small hole through a blockage causing the water to back up.

Hope this helps