Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

whirlpool 1400 electronic awg 349 4 smells burning

Customer Question

whirlpool 1400 electronic awg 349 4 smells burning it burns cloths, the door sealant was burnt so i removed it. what shall we do? is it worth repairing? or buy new one?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Just to confirm, the door seal was burned?

.

Is the inner drum loose?

Is there a lot of up and down movement in the inner drum?

Press down hard on the inner drum and rotate it 1/4 turn each way.

Does it feel or sound rough?

How old is the machine?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when spinning fast it makes sound and burning smells comes out. yes the door sealant plastic was burnt and some cloths got burnings mark.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I asked some questions regarding the inner drum.

Can you carry out some checks and let me know the answer to the questions please?

They are important to a remote diagnosis.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the drum only moves backward but not up and down at all. no rough sound when doing as you said.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

.

If the door seal is still on, put the machine on spin.

What sort of noise does it make?

Does it bang around?

.

If you rotate the drum by hand, does it touch the door seal at all?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the door seal was ruptured so i binned it. i tried without the door seal after and yes it bangs around. can i please ask what you mean by door seal? because i mean the band that was around the glass part.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The door seal is the rubber bellows that the door closes onto.

.

If it's banging around on spin, then it's near certain the bearings have gone, perhaps the inner drum support too.

.

This would be a fairly expensive repair as you would need to have the machine taken completely apart and a new rear half (outer tub), tub seal, heater and door seal fitted.

.

British Gas are doing a fixed price repair, parts and labour for £125.

This would be cheaper than having it repaired diy or by a local repairer.

.

Click here for the British Gas offer.

.

You may decide, depending on the age of the machine and condition, that you may want to use the cost of repair against the cost of a new machine.

.

I can tell you, it's a major failure and a potentially expensive repair.

.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I appreciate you taking time answering my questions. but I already new that i could call a serviceman to repair it. I thought you would guide me trough how to avoid that. i believe £36 is a bit to much to be told that i need a serviceman. That was perhaps quite obvious.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

I have actually advised on the cause of your problem and gone into detail on it.

You originally asked if you should repair it or buy a new one.

.

If you feel you are able to , you can change the rear half of the tub, possibly an inner drum (you won't know if it's damaged until you get it out), and fit the parts that I detailed.

The cost will be higher than the British Gas offer though.

.

It wasn't a case of being quite obvious, it was a case of being very thorough and giving you all of the options.

I'm sorry that you feel you've only been told to call a repairer but if you go through the thread again you'll see I've taken you through the diagnostics, given you the cause of the problem and then given you the various options open to you.

.

The options are :-

Repair it yourself and the parts you'll need.

Have British Gas repair it for a fixed price.

Use the cost of repair against a new machine.

.

Do you want to do the work yourself?

If you do, let me know and I'll advise when you get stuck on the strip down.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for the explanation. But i doubt the diagnosis is correct. the problem as i said from the beginning is about overheating. it burns the cloths inside and even the plastic of sealant was burnt. can faulty bearing cause burning cloth? i will call the engineer to repair this and if you are right i will apologise and leave good comments. thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

The diagnosis is correct.

The inner drum, while turning, is rubbing on the door seal.

The friction is causing the burning.

There's nothing else in there that can cause burning, only friction.

.

Either the bearings or the drum support will be the cause.

The most likely cause is the bearings, possibly both.

.

Very less likely is the pulley wheel bolt has come loose.

Less likely, something large was forced into the drum and it pushed the seal inside, causing it to rub on the inner drum.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the British Gas engineer checked the washing machine. He gave different diagnosis and said it is unrepairable. I can scan and email you the report if you want.

regards

sean

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

No need to scan and email, what was his diagnosis?

.

Bear in mind, I'm an ex Whirlpool engineer and know their machines inside out.

The fault you described here was very common on the range of machine you have and a rear half and inner drum was the cure.

.

No idea why it would be unrepairable either, unless it's an old machine with obsolete parts.

.

I would also refer you to your original questions, "what shall we do? is it worth repairing? or buy new one?".

My advice was to try and repair using a Free quote.

Had it been repaired, you would have saved a lot of money.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the machine is 4 years old. He said the bearing is fine (your diagnosis was that its broken) but the drum is buckled and as it is a sealed unite, it is not possible to repair it.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
Read my posts again.
Bearings and/or drum support.
The drum will be damaged (buckled) if the support has failed.
Give me the 85 number from tour machine and I'll check if the replacement tub is available.
If it is, it can be repaired.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well he said its not repairable and i bought a new one already. so you mean BG engineer gave me wrong advise?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Yes, I do believe he was wrong.

Unless the replacement is obsolete, there's no reason why the machine couldn't have been repaired.

.

However, I'll need the 85 number to check the drawings and see which tub is fitted.

.

There aren't many Whirlpool machines with a sealed tub either.

.