Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

halstead eden cbx 32 boiler fires when hot water is calling

Customer Question

halstead eden cbx 32 boiler fires when hot water is calling internal diverter motor not moving across nothing wrong with motor it operates when boiler turn on and carries out initial checks also checked wireing harness and main pcb any sugestions
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

if you take the motor off the end, does the motor work when off the valve?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

no only on initial check when boiler switched on

XXXXX XXXXX :

Does the display change when you run the hot tap?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

yes economy light on heating lights off

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

also same on comfort setting

XXXXX XXXXX :

does it show the pressure when you run the tap?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

secondary heat exchanger not blocked just diverter does not move over flow switch brings boiler on. the system pressure on gauge is 1bar

XXXXX XXXXX :

it sounds like the flow sensor is not working correctly

XXXXX XXXXX :

Connects to J2, i do not know if you can link it out and see if the boiler fires?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

the flow switch brings on the boiler as required when hot tap opened but boiler goes off when temp reached

XXXXX XXXXX :

ok, so it is working apart from the divertor valve

XXXXX XXXXX :

are you able to take the motor off and see if the pin moves underneath

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

are you able to push the pin yourself, it is pointing to a seized valve - but you may be able to free it by pushing it

XXXXX XXXXX :

have you seen the quality of the water in the heating system?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

this boiler does not have a pin it is more like a Y valve with a paddle that moves right or left ie diverts to heating or hot water

XXXXX XXXXX :

Can you confirm the GC no.?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Is the valve moving smoothly?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

g c no 47-260-04 eden cbx 32

XXXXX XXXXX :

Got it - thanks

XXXXX XXXXX :

When running the hot tap and the boiler fires are you getting any heat transfer into the heating? Can you check by holding the flow and return under the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

yes because heating port is open

XXXXX XXXXX :

does the valve operate by hand from heating to hot water?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

yes no problem

XXXXX XXXXX :

but the motor works when off but is not strong enough to push it when connected?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

have tried a different motor same problem also tried motor on different diverter same problem have also tried a new pcb

XXXXX XXXXX :

ok, with the motor disconnected and the lever pushed manually across, do you get hot water?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you think the lever is too stiff for the motor to push?

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

no have tried on a different diverter outside the boiler where able to see what happens with pump head off same problem

XXXXX XXXXX :

I am at a loss

XXXXX XXXXX :

Shall I see if someone else can help

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

so am i yes please it would be very helpful

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

still waiting for an answer

JACUSTOMER-ju67phvg- :

this must be a difficult problem to solve as no quick answer seem available

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i can wait thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
still await answer to my problem
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi let me see if I can assist you correctly.

Do you have a separate thermostat for this unit?

If not, the main PCB is the cause of the problem.

Please let me know if you need a good source for that part and also can you tell me how old the boiler is?

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have already replaced main pcb boiler has exactly the same problem hence iam asking the question

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Please explain, I believe what you are saying is that you get hot water, but the unit doesn't fire when heat is called for?

Is this correct?

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no the flow switch brings on the boiler when the hot tap is opened as it should but the diverter does not move over from heating to hot water the motor operates when boiler is switched on and it carries out initial checks

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thank you for that information.

Do you have a meter?

Tech Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we have a gas and an electric meter both working correctly

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry, I was talking about a meter to test something.

I need to know if you are getting power to the zone valve or diverter.

If you have power there, then the diverter valve is bad and needs to be replaced.

if you don't have power there at the valve, please let me know as we can go further with this.

I will help you all the way through but since this question may continue for some time, if you will rate my service as good or better
before you close this window, the system here will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you
so your question wont close or time out and you can contact me anytime at no additional cost.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i have a test meter but the motor has 6no pins with a sealed plug on it i suspect that it will have power to open for heating power to open hot water but no colour coded wirering diagram in boiler instruction manual so very difficult to test without this information

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

I understand this but likely the valve itself has failed. They almost always are the cause in this case.

The board is not really susceptible to this issue but the valve it an electrically operated solenoid and most of it is in the water and will become troublesome over time especially if the water is hard or has a lot of sediment or calcium, lime etc.

The part is pretty easy to replace and not very expensive either:-)

That's a good thing.

If this were me, I would replace that valve as it really is the likely issue here. I would put that at 98 %.

I will stick with you until this is fixed.

But Since this question may continue for some time, if you will rate my service as good or better
Tech Michael Here is the information you will need to do this repair;-)

http://halsteadboilerparts.co.uk/

Here is their phone # as well: 971 8565 76

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the motor is fitted externally basically it moves a paddle right or left, have removed motor and moved paddle manually with no problem halstead are no longer in business so dificult to gain information hence the reason i am on here

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi I will opt out but the issue will likely be a bad motor or valve stuck, or the main board no longer sending power to the motor.

I wish you the best with this.

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

all items you have mentioned have been renewed but still have same problem have even had the wireing loom checked looks like could be a new boiler required seems the only way to solve my problem

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi it is always possible but I seriously doubt that.

It is an electrical issue is all. Just need to isolate where either the power or the mechanical part stops operating. Then you will know for sure:-)

there is a way I can gain the entire schematic for this so we can determine which pins need to be checked for power and in this case since you have already replaced the main parts, it is always possible and I am leaning on a bad wire, its rare but it does happen form time to time, that's why a meter is a great tool for this.

If I were there I could fix this quickly I'm sure.

But if you will rate my service thus far as ok, and when I look through the schematic, I can tell you where to make the tests so you can find this problem.

I have been a tech for over 30 years and seen it all lol.

it will take me a day to go over all the tech data but I will do that for you also when you rate, the system here allows me to schedule free follow ups with you so this question will not close or cost you anything further.

Tech Mike

Tech Michael