Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

my whirlpool fridge/freezer front panel is showing two - -

Customer Question

my whirlpool fridge/freezer front panel is showing two - - on the freeze indicator and the warning buzzer is sounding
Expert:  bryanpaul52 replied 3 years ago.

bryanpaul52 :

Good morning, you have a defrost issue in this. do you have a model number ?

JACUSTOMER-mhu9xac7- :

FRBB2VAF20/0

bryanpaul52 :

okay although I cant bring up your exact model what you need to test is the defrost thermostat.

Defrost Thermostat W10225581 Main Product View
Full Size Image
it will look like that one and is clipped to the top of your coils that are frosted, take it out and put it in a glass of ice water. let it chill for about 1/2 hour then test it for continuity. if it has continuity its good if not its bad.

JACUSTOMER-mhu9xac7- :

Sorry there is nothing like this inside the freezer

JACUSTOMER-mhu9xac7- :

sorry I cant see anything like this at the coil here is image of a similar fridge freezer to mine

Full Size Image

okay well it may look different then the one I showed you. they all have one.I'll opt out because I cant find you exact model number. someone will pick this back up shortly, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Have you had water or ice on the floor of the freezer compartment?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no not yet

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, that would suggest, as the previous expert suggested, a fault in the defrost system.

.

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, in that case, you won't be able to test the heater or the bimetal to see if either has failed.

.

All you can do is restart the appliance and see if it cools down properly.

.

The - - in the display indicates it's too warm inside the freezer compartment.

As it cools down the display should come back to show the temperature it's being asked to achieve.

.

Let me know what happens.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

carried out the above procedure by switching off for just over an hour turned it back on and the temp reading back to normal and buzzer had stopped. Just came home from shopping to find the problem has returned

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, did you fully defrost the appliance manually?

.

How long did the machine run for?

Is it still running?

Is it actually cooling?

If you take the panels in the freezer off, are the pipes coated in frost?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 yes

2 14 hrs

3 yes

4 think so

5 yes they were until I defrosted it

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

.

Question 5 refers to the present time, after you manually defrosted.

.

If it's still running and has been running for 14 hours, it should be cold enough to turn off the - -

.

You need to check if the compressor at the bottom rear is running.

To access it, you need to take the panel at the bottom rear off.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry it ran for 14 hrs before the fault reoccured

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

.

In that case, check the evaporator again, is it frosted over or has it defrosted itself?

Check the compressor, is it running?

Do not unplug or turn the machine off, you need to check these first.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry for delay have to keep emptying the freezer the answers are yes and yes

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

.

The fault isn't making logical sense.

If the compressor is running and the evaporator is frosting over, it should be cold enough in the freezer to turn the - - off.

.

Monitor what happens with the machine.

If it gets down to temperature again, I need to know what happens when it goes into defrost mode.

.

It may be that it's getting down to temperature but not starting up again until it's fully defrosted.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the later point could be right as the evaporator freeze up along the bottom and up the right hand side and the pipes along the top and once I de-ice it starts running again as normal

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Don't de-ice.

Leave the machine to run and freeze.

I need to know what happens after it gets to -18 degrees and stops running.

(it should stop at this point and start as it begins to warm up again).

.