Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

hiI have a 9 yr old Hotpoint electric multifunction oven

Customer Question

hi I have a 9 yr old Hotpoint electric multifunction oven Model ST55X -sorry no serial number available. I also have a Hotpoint gas hob, with ignition, which I understand requires an electric connection. Please tell me how this should be wired/connected up. While i understand that standards may be different now to what they were 9 years ago, I would appreciate it if you could explain what the requirements would have been in April 2004, when fitting and wiring up these appliances. my reason for emailing is that I am questioning whether the firm fitting it (it was supplied and connected as part of a fitted kitchen refurb) used the correct methods , and adhered to the electrical standards of the time, and your advice will be very helpful to me in deciding how to proceed withthe currently nonfunctioning oven. Rose XXXXXXXX

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sorry to hear that.
We need to deal with one thing at a time here,
first did the display go out on the electric oven?
When did that happen?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mike
When i originally called the electrician in, the fan was working, but it wasnt heating up. I cannot remember if console light was on or not for definite- i would err on the side of 'not'.
Rose
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rose, sorry for the delay.
Is this the electric oven?
Or is it the gas one?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello Michael,

my first email will tell you that I have an electric oven - we need not waste time exchanging emails over facts you are already in possession of.

You do in fact refer to it in your first response The original email is near the top of this thread.

Rose

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rose,
each appliance should be posted as a separate question.
I have over 25 years of experience in this but it can be confusing when we are talking about 2 different appliances.
Please look at what you posted:-)
I will help you first with the electric oven if you wish?
The way to wire the hob is to hook it up to an outlet supplying 220VAC.
It should be straightforward but you will need either a plug for that or wire it directly. Please let me know what you would like to do.
After we get this done we can tackle the gas unit:-)
I can walk you through this if you like?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Gas hob is fine, I mentioned this to illustrate the point that it is working, and wired into the sockets which also serve the oven, which is as follows:

*1 wall mounted double plug. in left plug is a white plug, with two cables wired into it,

right plug has one black moulded plug - both plugs are switched on.

The cables disappear into a hole in the housing unit close to the left of the plugs.

I cannot therefore find any clues as to what links to what.

I am concerned about the two cables wired into one though.

*1 square wall mounted box to right of double plug with a switch, showing 'switched on'

to its left, on the same face, a small flush oblong outline, with the word fuse written on it

Can I email a photo - it may be easier to visualise?

Rose

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rose,
You can send me a pic on here, that would help quite a bit for me to be able to tell you how to wire this in:-)
Thank you for your patience as this is a technical issue and needs to be done correctly.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Plwase let me have ancemail address
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rose,
I am unfortunately not allowed to give out personal information.
But you can send a file to this mail on the site.
I wish I could do more.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need an email address. I beganbaccessing this service via hotpoints website, but there is no actual enail address showing on any correspondence. Obviously it need tto contain an @ which website address doesnt.
Apoplgise for recent hold ups. Im spending lot of time at hospital- my mother had an acute stroke on friday.
Rose
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

I m sorry to hear about your Mom!
Lets start on this plug,
how many prongs stick out and does it look like it would fit in a special outlet?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As mentioned previously,in a cupboard next to oven and hob is a double plug, one white, wired with two white cables into 1 3 pin everyday plug , then one black, moulded, appliance 3 pin plug.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure what you are meaning with this so I will opt out and see if another tech can solve this for you.
Tech Mike