Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

My Maytag Admiral AW22 top loading machine will not spin. The

Customer Question

My Maytag Admiral AW22 top loading machine will not spin. The agitor works but conditioner stays in top when rinsing, machine drains but does not spin. My husband has checked and belt is ok, have tested switch as per response from Michael but that made no difference.
I cannot find the serial number, and have mislaid the user manual.
I would appreciate if someone can respond quicker than the previous "expert"

In asked this question on Saturday afternoon, did not get a response till yesterday afternoon, I responded yesterday afternoon but have not received any further communication. I have washing piling up and need to know if machine is fixable or if I will have to buy another.
I have used Just Answer in the past, (a few years ago) and contacted you this time as the previous service was excellent, at the moment I cannot say that.
Frances
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Hi have you seen my previous response?
I'm sorry for the delay we had some internet issues yesterday.
I need to know if the unit will not spin on any cycle?
I believe that it wont.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I saw your suggestion yesterday, my husband did as you instructed and I replied to say that machine still did not spin.

You are correct in assuming that machine does not spin on any cycle.

Frances

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Frances,

Does the machine make any strange sounds when it it is supposed to be spinning?
Or is it completely quiet during that cycle?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It makes the noise it would make if spinning but the drum is not turning

Frances

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Frances.
That is unfortunately an expensive transmission problem
I hate to tell you, but unfortunately I don’t think the equipment involved here is worth the cost of repairs. You might even have suspected this yourself. For a lot less money than you spent on it years ago, you can fully replace it today. And for the same money, you can get higher performance with far more functionality as well. You can look online for a replacement.

If you still want to fix this piece of equipment and cost is no object, let me know and I will try to help walk you through it. Or, if you want to scrap your equipment for parts, let me know and I’ll try to help you with that. I wish I had better news for you in this I really do.

I hope you find this answer helpful. If you do, please Accept.
Warmest regards
Thank you Frances.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I had the machine shipped from America when I bought it and although I have searched cannot find a similar item available in the UK. All UK top loader machines are smaller than I would want. Also not the best time of year to be looking for what is an expensive machine.

When you say it is a transmission problem what would be involved in repairing machine and are you able to give me an estimate of the cost.

Thank you for your assistance

Frances

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Your welcome Frances anytime:-)
The problem is the part costs about $200.00 US but thats not the bad part, the trouble is installing it requires a few specialty tools and quite a bit of Maytag mechanical knowledge to complete this repair.
It takes a couple of hours to complete this repair and thats a lot in labor cost:-(
So when you factor all of this together its really not worth the repair cost. Also and I don't understand why, but in all my years as an appliance repair technician they don't sell just the internal parts for the transmissions for these washers.
In any case I will be here for you if you need my further, and once you rate, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you in case you need me in the future:-)
Have a nice day Frances and please let me know if I cna assist you with anything else.
Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I will speak to my husband tonight and we will decide what to do

Thank you again for your assistance

Frances

Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good,
enjoy the day!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frances,
Since this question may continue for some time, if you will rate my service as good or better
before you close this window, the system here will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you
so your question won't close or time out and you can contact me anytime at no additional cost.
Tech Michael