Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Bosch fridge freezer keeps shorting out (FD8902, KAN62/V40GB02)

Customer Question

My Bosch fridge freezer keeps shorting out (FD8902, KAN62/V40GB02) and tripping the RCD. It is only 4 years old. Plugs etc checked by an electrician who says it is definitely the fridge. Not what I expected. Is there anything that we can check out? Can't get a Bosch technician to visit until Friday next week.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Usually if these are tripping the electrics out its down to a defrost heater.

To check this you need to empty the freezer section and then from there remove the back panel.

There you will see the evaporator. Under there is the defrost heater. The wires usually run up the left hand side of the evaporator.

Disconnect the wiring block for the heater.

Then refit the back panel and try the appliance again. If it goes without tripping then we know its the heater at fault.

The machine will run ok for a while until the heater is replaced but what will have is to much ice will build up on the evaporator as its unable to defrost so after a week or so it will block the air flow and you will lose the fridge and freezer until its defrosted.

So try that and let me know how it goes from there.