Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

Hi, The central heating comes on with the timer but when the

Customer Question

The central heating comes on with the timer but when the thermostat setting temperature is reached, 20c, the heating shuts off but will not restart even when the rads are cold.
I have renewed the room thermostat but with no success, the controller is a Randall 4033 and is approx' ten years old, could this be causing the problem?
regards,
Peter.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a motorised valve in the airing cupboard?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

I should have also said that the only way to restart the heating is to turn the thermostat to a higher setting.

Peter.

The thermostat sounds like it is doing correctly. Are you saying the house is cold?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is as if, when the house reaches the the set temperature, the heating is switched off.

Peter.

That is correct.

If you walk into your house or a room of your house and it is warm but the radiator is cold then all is right.
Think of the money you are saving!

Depending on where the room thermostat is located then you may have to adjust the temperature + or - 1 degree to find the correct temperature for the house as the room thermostat shuts off the whole of the heating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You seem to have missed the point, in my initial question I said that when the desired temperature is reached and the heating turns off, it never comes on again even when the rads are cold.

Peter.

Sorry.
It sounds like a problem with the motorised valve in the airing cupboard, can you locate it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already told you that I do not have motorised valve so we seem to be going round in circles here.

Forget it I will sort it elsewhere.

Ok, can I have the make and model of the boiler please.
Is it a combination boiler?