Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

I have recently bought a gas oven after 25 years of using an

Customer Question

I have recently bought a gas oven after 25 years of using an electric oven. food in general never seems to brown on the top, and meat joints are undercooked when instructions are followed to the letter. I wonder if you could explain why this would be the case? Many thanks.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.
When you light the oven do the flames go up after about 10 seconds?
Did you last oven have a fan fitted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Andrew,

The flames when I light the oven on max, to preheat it do not go up from their original size. Also my last electric oven was a fan oven. Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ian

When adjusting from a fan assisted oven, cooking times can be upto 20% longer due to poorer heat circulation, you could also need to be 10-15 degrees hotter than your electric.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you suggest 20% longer than instructions on food packaging,and around 10 degrees c hotter than that suggested for gas ovens as I have followed all instructions so far and there seems to be a difference of 20 degrees between fan ovens and gas ovens anyway

I would try that first, perhaps the thermostat is not as accurate as your old electric oven
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice Andrew, I will try the above

Ian

No problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Andrew its mrs roscoe I have already tried all the above suggestions with varying results for example I end up with food that is cremated on the bottom and not cooked or browned at the top this applies to everything I try and cook in this particular cooker . in my view it is the worse cooker I have ever had . just one more point the actual gas jets in this oven run from front to back on the bottom of the oven do you think this could be a problem for the lack of heat circulation therefore causing the food to burn. many thanks sally roscoe.

Does it take long to preheat (when the flames lower)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Andrew we have had an engineer out in the summer he suggested to preheat the oven only on the highest temperature for at least 30mins before cooking and then to turn down to the required temperature .hope this helps sally roscoe

Well, a preheat should consist of setting the temperature and only putting your food in once the flames have died down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only time the flames go down is when the temperature is turned down . they do not increase at all when you turn the oven on sally roscoe

They should drop when the oven reaches temperature?
try turning you oven on to 160 degrees and see if the flames drop after about 10 minutes?