Jon
Jon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with over 12 years experience.
60802242

Im using two Dimplex 1000 Coldwatch electric heaters to warm

Customer Question

I'm using two Dimplex 1000 Coldwatch electric heaters to warm my shed- contains fridge, freezer, clothes dryer, boots, jackets, normal stuff. They just don't seem to come on and the room/shed (which is insulated) isn't warming up as a result. I've tried different settings- no result. I've taken the heaters into the (heated) house and tried them- working fine. Why not out in the cold shed?
Expert:  Jon replied 3 years ago.

Jon :

Have you checked the power to the outlet that the heater are plugged into?

Jon :

If the frequency or voltage from the outlet is not correct the heater will not work.

Jon :

And there is also a thermostat inside each heater. And that needs to be satisfied for it to work well.

Jon :

So lets say the room that you want to keep warm is at 60 degrees and you set the heater to 70 degrees, the heater should come on until the room temp is 70 degrees.

Jon :

and come back on again when it gets below 70.

Jon :

but if it it is not working like thsat the thermostat may be off.

Customer:

Yes Jon- I have checked power- neon power light is on on both heaters, and i took them inside tonight and tried them inside- both working. Then i took a lamp out to the shed and tried it in the sockets- works fine.

Customer:

Downloaded the manual from Dimplex- voltage matches up fine- in fact- both these heaters hacve worked fine in the past.

Customer:

I think you are right- it's a thermostat issue- not that there is something wrong with the unit- just my operation of them 2 hours ago I moved the location of one of the heaters to a different part of the shed- not the coldest part but a slightly warmer part- and it is working. Perhaps I need to keep experimenting with their location and positioning. The thermostat is a simple operation- 1-5. I think the dial doesn't mean temperature level, but background temperature that the thermostat is operating at.

Customer:

That's all thank you.

Jon, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Home appliance technician with over 12 years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 3 years ago.
Martin,

yes, this is definitely a control thermostat issue. Especially if you have experimented and placed one of the heaters in a warmer area of the shed and it is now working fine.

Sometimes the ambient temp around the heater will affect its operation. So if its either too cold or hot it will not work correctly. At least the thermostat anyway.

I would keep it for now in the warmer area of the shed and see how it works out. And if it works fine then I would just keep it there. And move the other one to another warmer area of the shed. Or if the shed has a window keep it near that to let the sun keep it warm.

If it still doesnt work properly then I am afraid you will not be able to use it in this shed. Or if the machine is less then a year old then I would call Air Temp to have them come out to fix it or replace it for free.

If you need any other info please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a good Thanksgiving and weekend.