Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My elderly mother has a Zanussi washing machine - 4 years last

Customer Question

My elderly mother has a Zanussi washing machine - 4 years last Aug and, unfortunately she cannot find the purchase receipt for the make number. She says it is not on the user manual. The door has been giving problems over the last few months. This week the door would not release at the end of the wash. As the washing has been inside for some days, I suggested that she run the machine again. This time it started to make strange noises mid wash so she turned it off and today her cleaner drained all the water out of it. How do I get the door open to retrieve the wet washing?

She did ring an engineer who said his charges would be a call out fee of £70 + Vat plus time charges and parts which seems excessive. She lives in Surrey
Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Do you know if the water was stuck in the machine when it failed, or had it emptied correctly?
Also, does the door handle feel loose and floppy, or the same as normal?

Do you have some basic DIY tools and skills?

Rob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the first cycle the machine finished its cycle as normal but the door would/could not be opened.

On re-running the machine it started to make 'strange' noises so stopped it mid cycle and her cleaner has manually drained the machine.

The handle is same as normal - not floppy.

Yes I am competent at DIY skills and have tools I will have to take with me so advice on what is needed would be helpful.

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Elizabeth

Take a flat head screwdriver, a phillips screwdriver and some small spanners or an adjustable spanner.

It sounds like the lock has siezed
Disconnect from the mains
Remove the lid and lean the machine back at 45 degrees
Look inside towards the door lock
You’ll see the latch sticking through the lock
Slide this across and the door will open
If the handle is broken, take photographs before you dismantle it to replace it, they are notoriously difficult to re assemble without a picture

If you need replacement parts, let me know and Ill try to locate them

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Rob

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will go down tomorrow to try to sort it out. So far so good and thanks for the tips

Expert:  Rob replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome

Its not too bad a job!!

Rob