Homebuilder Jay
Homebuilder Jay, Customer Service
Experience:  Sales and field experience.
14716023

I accidentally left the plastic base of a pizza in the aga

I accidentally left the plastic base of a pizza in the aga and the smell even after 24 hours is terrible especially when I open the door. Are you able to help please?
Expert:  Homebuilder Jay replied 3 years ago.
Is there any melted plastic residue remaining in the aga cooker?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes , unfortunately I can see it still. Have tried scraping it but unable to shift it..
Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately, melted and burned plastic is one of the stronger odors to eliminate. Especially, if the burned plastic is remaining inside the unit. I do alot of fire restoration and melted microwaves from cooking fires is one of the worst odors.

Removing the plastic in its current hardened form is going to be very difficult. Try the following and see if you have any luck. Turn the aga cooker on and allow it to get warm. Keep the temperature on until the plastic begins to warm up and soften. You should be able to scrape the plastic off in this softened state.

The smell is probably going to be bad when it heats up and the plastic begins to react with the heat. Open some windows and direct the air out a window or a door with a fan.

Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Aga has been on all the time. Will it eventually burn off as the Aga is on all the time. I'm concerned to use any product that could harm the oven.
Should I turn the Aga off and try something else.
The plastic will not burn off over time and burning plastic does give off fumes that are harmful to breathe. Do not attempt to use any solvents as this could damage the interior surfaces of the aga.

If the oven has been on all the time then turn it off and let the plastic cool completely. You can also place a bag of ice on it after the aga has completely cooled. This will make the plastic brittle and will be your best opportunity to remove the plastic in one piece. A putty knife will work well.

Please let me know if you have any luck with the removal.