Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi , this is regarding a zanussi/electrolux fridge/freezer Which

Customer Question

Hi , this is regarding a zanussi/electrolux fridge/freezer
Which is out of warranty , the appliance was creating lots
Of compacted ice in the freezer and some in the fridge too
So I emptied it , unplugged it , took it outside an power washed
The inside of both compartments , before I plugged it back in
I dried it all of properly , but at the back , down the bottom
I noticed a plastic reservoir above a black tank kind of thingy
That had water in it , I sucked all this out as I assumed that
it was for the overflow pipe from the fridge as there is a pipe
Leading into it , everything went fine for about a day but
Then the fridge part got warm and now none of it seems
To be working , I have tried plugging it out for a few hours
But no good , the motor doesnt kick in regardless of where
The thermostat is set , I know probably a bad idea to power
Wash it , any ideas , thanks Robin
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please. It will be on a sticker inside the fridge section behind the salad box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Zerb 3225x

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks for that.

Is the compressor at the back the black pot running at all?

Is it hot to touch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No its not running , and yes it was hot to touch when I last plugged it out

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok look inside the fridge section at the back wall does it look like its bulgeing out?

If you press on the back wall does any part of it feel spongey like you can press it in and out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is not bulging or spongy at all, however just above the

Drain hole feels hot

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's fine.

Im afraid not good news this has a system fault either the compressor is faulty or its a shortage of gas. For either of these you need to get a fridge enginner in and they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back and from there they can see how much gas is in there and what pressure the compressor is pumping at.

This isn't a diy fix but the good thing is it can be repaired. As long the liner inside the fridge section hasn't bluged out it can be repaired.

As this is going to be an expensive repair what you might be best doing is contacting domestic and general as they do a policy for faulty appliances already. Its about £16 a month as you can pay monthly for this and they will repair it and give a full 12 month warrenty on it.

I do quite a lot of these kind of repairs as it work out cheaper for the customer.

There number is XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Sorry it isn't good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what could have caused this to happen ?

Would the power washing have anything

To do with it or could I have accidentally

Severed a pipe that was leading to the compressor

?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

To be honest power washing wont have caused it but in removing it and taking out side you may have cracked a pipe as if you loo at the copper dryer to the right of the compressor it has a very thin capilery and if this breaks all the gas will escape.

Other then that it may be a weak compressor as this does happen on these. Ive replaced quite a few for this kind of fault on them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any way at all I can check this

Myself and replace the compressor if nessessary

I am in ireland and these kind of repair people here

Are almost invariably thieves/cowboys , if the pipe

Is broken surely I would be able to see it ? Is replacing

The compressor a straight bolt on/off job or does

It have to be gassed up post installation, also coul you

Tell me the price of a rep compressor or post a link

To one online , cause I would like to have this info

In case I have to get someone in , thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

To be honest a compressor isn't a diy fix as you need to have a vac pump, lokrings and the lok ring gun as these are compression fittings as you cannot braze these as its R600 gas which is flammable.

So to buy the equipment to do it will cost a lot more then the complete appliance and that's without buying the compressor.

And to test for leaks if none of the pipes have a visable break you need to vac it out into a complete vacuum to see if theres a leak.

So you have to have the tools and the knowledge to replace and regas as you need to but the exact amount of gas in.

Sorry about that and the cost for a regas is about £140 or a compressor is about the £200 mark.