Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi, I have an Indesit BAAN134, I bought it about 6 years ago

Hi, I have an Indesit BAAN134, I bought it about 6 years ago and it's been fine. Today it's developed a noise which appears to come from the back of the unit. Sounds like a fan which is malfunctioning. The fridge and freezer have both started to warm since it started. The compressor at the back seems to be OK, it's hot (which is usual I think) and a pipe leading out from it is cool.
Any ideas? Is it a fan or something replaceable, or a replacement needed.
Simon
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok the fan inside the fridge section just circulates the air around it doesn't really control the temperature inside and it wont affect the freezer section.

The compressor at the back is it to hot were you cannot keep you hand on it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, it's too hot to keep your hand on it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok a compressor shouldn't be that hot. It only goes like that if its working overtime.

As its not getting cold proberly inside the appliance and the compressor is hot to touch then im afraid it has a system fault.

Either its a poor pumping compressor (more common) or its short of gas. But for either of these you need to get a fridge engineer in.

As they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see whats happeing inside the system.

Im sorry but this isn't a diy fix and it isn't going to be cheap. As if its a compressor fault then you are looking at about the £200 mark. If its short of gas then its about £140.

Sorry its not good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the compressor has always been hot. I think we're better off buying a new appliance rather than attempting a repair. It cost around £275 to buy, so is not that expensive.

Any recommendations on the best make for a fridge freezer combo, or should I buy a separate fridge and freezer?

Simon

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

A compressor is normally warm but should never be hot were you cannot keep your hand on it.

You are right its proberly best to replace rather then fixing this as its never really the same when you break into the system.

As to a best make you can try either a Bosch or AEG as they are decent appliances.

The separate appliances are good in a way if one breaks down you still have the other but if theres no room or limted plug sources then it will have to be a fridge freezer.

But you can try a frost free appliance as these are quite good now a days and it saves you defrosting every 6 months.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. So the freezer has now been defrosted and it's working again. The noise has gone and the compressor has cooled down.

So it looks like it just needed to be defrosted after all

Simon