Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Four year old Hotpoint Single Electric Oven SY56X/1, despite

Customer Question

Four year old Hotpoint Single Electric Oven SY56X/1, despite having professionally cleaned on several occasions since purchase, the following:-
Tenant complained that when cooking a roast meal, on opening the oven door during cooking, ( almost black) smoke was blown into the room by the electric fan at the back of the oven.
They called me to witness this happening yesterday. My son and his wife cook by electric and say this has only happened when oven needed cleaning.

We don't know what the answer is? Despite the smokey build up, should the fan cut out when the door is opened ?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,
If it's cooking on the fan element only and you are getting black smoke, then there's deposits behind the removable rear panel inside the oven.

Take the rear panel inside the oven out.
This will expose the fan and element.

Clean the panel, clean the rear of the oven, around/behind the fan and element.

Once cleaned, you'll need to run the oven on it's hottest setting and burn off any residue on the element.

There is no door switch so the fan runs when the door is open and the element stays on (if it's on at that time).

Hope this helps