Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Noises freezer fan in beko American style fridge freezer. I

Customer Question

Noises freezer fan in beko American style fridge freezer. I am unable to remove vent panel after removing fixing screw.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay do you still need help on this?

If so does your model have the ice maker inside it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Inside the freezer is normal plastic shelf holder for ice cube trays.
This shelf holder is fixed to roof of freezer with 4 fixing screws.
I have removed same and lifted it out. Behind is a vent panel fixed with 1 screw. When I removed single screw the panel will not come away with normal effort. I do not wish to risk fracturing panel ( 26 x 38 cms ) which contains 4 vent grids. How can I remove panel to check fan compartment.

Regards, Brian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ok what I do is look on the panel and theres a piece of plastic sticking out. Just hold that with a pair of pliers and just pull it.

That cover is just a push fit so it shouldn't break in pulling it. Ive never broken one yet.

So just hold that with the pliers and pull and it will come off.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,
Still no joy. The panel moves slightly right and left. But will not come free even using pliers.
Regards , Brian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Ive done 100s of them and never really had a problem as its just thin lugs which hold in in place. So as long as the screw is out it should just pull off.

Try it from the top and just pull it and it should come out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

Success at last! . Fortune favours the brave !
I managed to remove the fan assembly. Looks ok. Have refitted and switched on power. No noise yet. However in the past when I switched off power for an hour or so the noise returned after about 20 mins. Fingers crossed for now. If the noise returns I will make further contact. In the meantime thanks for persuading me to use that extra little force.

Regards, Brian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Nice one glad to hear you got it off.

These fans do go a lot on these Bekos.

Was the noise coming from the fan inside the freezer?

If so just keep an eye on it as that's what happens they go noisy and then the noise stops because the fan stops running so the top of the freezer defrost and the bottom section inside the fridge starts to freeze up.

So if this happens then you need to replace the fan motor and that will cure it from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I am afraid the noise has just returned. I am pretty certain that the noise is coming from the fan area. Would you say that the fan itself is the problem?

Last summer the same noise was noticed but eventually stopped after a few days.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Regards, Brian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

The only thing that makes a noise from these is either the fan inside the freezer, The compressor or the fan next to the compressor.

The compressor and the fan next to the compressor never fail its always the fan inside the freezer ive done 100s of them so just replace that and that should be fine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for your response. I will order a new fan today and replace as per your advice. Hope I won't need to contact you again in this regard.

Best wishes, Brian
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

No worries I think you should be fine.

But if you need anymore help when you get the fan just get back to me.

Even after rating me you can get back to me and you wont pay anymore.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

Sorry to bother you again about my fan problem. I now find that the noisey fan is running non stop. I am about to order a new fan but I am wondering if the continuous running of the fan is caused by some other fault.

Best regards again, Brian.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

The running of the fan all the time wont be down to another fault. As the fan only runs when the compressor does to get cold inside. So once it reaches temp it should stop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I will go ahead and replace the fan and leave you in peace!

Again many thanks for your assistance.

Best regards, Brian.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

No worries, Once its fitted just post back on here if you want and let me know how it went.