Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Whirlpool (Electronic) frost free upright freezer. For

I have a Whirlpool (Electronic) frost free upright freezer.
For a short time there was a noise from the fan but it's now gone quiet agai.
The freezer always displayed -19c
Right now it displays -12c
I follow the procedure for setting the freezer to -19c, it goes through all the right motions but the temp remains at -12c
There is no alarm light showing.
The compartments and food are still frozen even after 24 - 36 like this.
Can you please help
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan,

AFG8241NF

Whirlpool Total Nofrost

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Ok what I think here is the evaporator has become blocked with ice so the fan will have been catching on the ice and that would have been the noise.

Now the fan will be jammed up so that's why its not running and once the fan stops the temperature drops down and hoovers about -11 degs.

What you need to do if you can is empty the freezer and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open. This will allow the ice to melt and should clear it.

Then see how it goes from there. If it does it again in say 2-3 weeks then it has a defrost issue which it can be either the defrost heater or thermal cut out at fault.

Now you can try and defrost it by emptying the freezer and remove the back panel and drop the evaporator unit at the top of the freezer. And use a hair dryer to melt the ice in there.

Now this way is more difficult as if its ice up its hard to get it down due to the ice.

So defrost it and see how it goes. Fingers crossed it just a one off which can happen on these and it may just carry on as normal.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks Dan, I'll try to defrost it.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

No worries if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Even after rating you can get back to me on this and you wont pay anymore.