Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hello We have a XXXXX XXXXX dishwasher with an LED display

Customer Question

We have a XXXXX XXXXX dishwasher with an LED display that counts down the time left. Just before the end of any cycle, it has started displaying 20 and we discover that the cycle has not worked, and it has been on a cold wash only or something. What might we try?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,
When it stops, is it full or empty of water?
If you start a new program, does it first of all drain the water out?
Can you post the model number of the appliance?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Empty of water.

If you open the door mid cycle, and press cancel by holding down the two buttons, then the water drains and you can select a new programme.

JLDWS1226

OK?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, that's really confusing.

The 20 is the error code for a draining failure.

If it's stopping empty it suggests a pressure switch fault.
If you cancel the program and start a new one, what does the machine then do?

Are you sure it's getting to the end of the program?
If it is, and it's cold, you should get the 60 fault showing.

Run the machine and let me know the exact sequence it goes through.
It should start by running the drain pump.
Then what?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have just started a new quick 30 min programme.

You hear the drains start up, and water comes out.

We did this earlier so I can tell you what happens. You hear the usual water splashing around, it gets down to about 5 mins, and then flashes 20 on the screen where the countdown was. You open the door to find it free of water, and cold, poorly washed but rinsed dishes.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, as I said before that's confusing as it's giving a code for draining failure but you are reporting a heating failure.

Just to confirm, there's a i before the 20 when it fails?
When it fails, is it running the drain pump at that time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not noticed an i before the 20 but will look when it comes on in about 10 minutes. Currently on 14 mins to go. There seems to be no problem with the draining as I said, as the machine is always empty. I can hear it now, and it sounds like normal, with sounds of water and washing. I also know it will be empty but cold at the end. And the 20 comes up for no reason, ie that is not how many minutes are left, but whether or not there is an i before it I have not noticed, though I suspect I would have done had there be one. Will look in a minute. Now on 11 mins to go

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, I asked if the drain pump is running when it fails.
Can you advise please?

I know there's no problem draining but I really need to know exactly what is happening at the time it fails.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Was waiting for it to finish. oddly, this time it has worked normally and not come up as an error. Hot too. The only difference this time is that there were no dishes in it. Do you think there is a faulty connection or something?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, as I've said, 20 (which will have . or i before it) refers to a draining fault.
Even though it's drained, the machine didn't know it had drained.
.
This suggests to me a build up of gunge in the pressure chamber/tube.
This can can cause the problem you were having.
.
As it's working at the moment, I'd suggest running a dishwasher cleaner through it and then a couple of the hottest washes.
No dishes in the machine, just run the cycles to try and clean out the pressure chamber.
.
Then, see if the machine works again.
.
Check it out, get back to me if the fault returns and we can continue.
.
Good luck with the appliance.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, funnily enough, we then tried another wash and it has stopped much sooner into the cycle with i20. So the i is there. Do you still suggest running a dishwasher cleaner or is it more serious than that?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
No, if it won't go through the program it won't clean it out.
.
Is this a 2012 dishwasher?
When it failed, was it draining at the time?
Had it drained all of the water out?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it was 2012.

Yes, it drains

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, once again I asked if the drain pump was running when it failed but you've not answered this again.

If it was running then it's likely to be a restriction in the pressure chamber or pressure tube or a fault with the pressure switch.

If it wasn't running then I'd suspect a fault with the pressure switch or the main control board.

Your machine is still under warranty with John Lewis. (2 year warranty with JL)
If you try opening it up to repair it yourself, you'll invalidate this warranty.
(If you don't care about the warranty and want to try repairing yourself, let me know).

If it's a control board fault then it will be an expensive repair.

If it's a restriction, you would still need to take the panels off of the machine to get to the pressure switch.
You could try removing the water from the sump bowl then pouring boiling water into the sump bowl to see if you can dislodge/dissolve the blockage. It's only worked on a rare occassion but may be worth trying.

Check it out, check the warranty with JL and get back to me if you need more help.
.