John
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

water dripping down constantly wetting door and shelves, on

Customer Question

water dripping down constantly wetting door and shelves, on my fridge freezer
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the leak in the fridge freezer .
Is this a fridge with the freezer on the top ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Most times this is a plugged defrost drain system. The defrost heater in the freezer section melts the frost and changes it to water, this water is suppose to flow down a drain system. If this drain system is restricted or plugged the water will leak inside the refrigerator. The drain system starts in the freezer section with a tray built under the evaporator coil. The water is funnelled through a small hose into a cup in the top middle of the fresh food section ( not on all models, but this is the most common way ), from there, the water is directed out the back wall to a drain hose that runs down the back of the refrigerator into a condensing tray. The heat created under the fridge makes the water evaporate and disappear. Some of the cups ( in the top back of the fresh food section ) can be removed for cleaning. A turkey baster can be used to help clean out the drain system. Fill the baster with hot water and "blast" it into the drain hose to help flush it out. A piece of wire or pipe cleaner can also be pushed into the drain hoses to help clean then out. You will have to remove the freezer panel to get to the drain pan to clear the drain hose .
If you require more assistance let me know please .
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to clean out the drain in your fridge to stop the leak .?