Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

Hi, the on/off light is on and the door lock light is on but

Customer Question

Hi, the on/off light is on and the door lock light is on but no others (no led or the lights to the right). so I can't read any fault codes (turning it on with the start and reset buttons pressed in). it was working fine then just stopped mid cycle leaving water in it. so far I have checked the pump for blockages and blown down both level sensor tubes and they are all clear. help cause it was a good machine!!!! steve
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the make and model number of the machine please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

Zanussi aquacycle 1200 xc wd 1250 w

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, let's try and see if the machine goes into diagnostics.
.
Switch off.
Press and hold together the start and skip buttons.
While holding, switch on.
The lights should flash, release the button and they should scroll.
Does this happen?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

like I said originally, when I do that I cant see anything because nothing lights up other than the on/off button and the door button.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, I misread the part about pressing the buttons.

With the door lock light being on, it's very likely to be a faulty door lock that has cause the problem.

Take the door lock out, see if there's any obvious damage there.
(no damage doesn't mean it's ok though).
.
Check it out, see what you find and get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, ok its out. I can't see anything obvious though like burning or spring failure?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, no burning at the wires?
Check the board at the top.
.
For the door lock light to be on, the board is likely shorted at that part of the circuit.
.
Unfortunately, there isn't always obvious signs of damage.
.
Is the door lock light on when the door is open?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, I put the lock back in. turned it on with door open, no light on the door. closed the door and the door light went on and the door locked. now to open I have to power off and wait.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
.
It looks like the lock is ok, just the circuit then.
.
You'll need to check the main board (hangs down into the machine at the top front right).
It has to come out and the circuit board out of the case so you can check the board.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, the board is out of its caddy. forgive me because I am a tree surgeon!

there is a big alliuminuim "n" shaped cover by that there is a matt green componenet soldered on. this component has a hairline crack in it and has slight burning it says "R98" next to it there is also evidence of slight burning/sooting to R61, D4 and C37. what's your thoughts?

steve

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, so the board has failed.
Unfortunately, there's no information on the board to component level.
I'm afraid, unless you can work it out and repair it, that a new board is required.
.
The boards are expensive, may need programming, and if there's an underlying fault, the new board may blow when fitted.
.
You may be better off with a fixed price repair that includes parts and labour.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok I will see how it goes! thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Good luck with it.
Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helped