KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

liftmaster RDO800GB garage door opener - a couple of years

Customer Question

liftmaster RDO800GB garage door opener - a couple of years old, worked fine until the other day. Opened half way and stopped. Tried to reset the limits as per the manual. Disengaged the unit and checked the door for freedom - ok, opened and closed easily. Re engaged the unit, tried the limit settings again and again. Still no good, so tried the force settings, but that hasn't helped either. It seems that it wants to keep the upper limit at around half way, yet the motor is more than capable of taking the door to its height when I try to set it. Any ideas?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

The problem seems to be with the motor that has gone bad and needs a replacement....usually it comes with a 3 year warranty however, you have to confirm this from Liftmaster

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

In what way has it gone bad? It is still able to lift the door to the top without making any of the painful noises or smells that I would usually associate with bad motors.

KevinWhiteJA :

Ok

KevinWhiteJA :

What else have you done...apart from all this ?

KevinWhiteJA :

Can you see any flashing LEDs ?

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

No the led only flashes when it's supposed to, i.e. when setting the limits it should flash slowly and a little bit quicker when setting the force. It doesn't give me fault sequences or anything like that. The whole thing seems to work as it should other than it won't accept the up limit.

KevinWhiteJA :

Ok and there is no sort of hum sound from the motor ?

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

No, the motor is running as it always has.

KevinWhiteJA :

Is there a Ice/snow build up near the door ?

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

No, its been raining here - guessing around 7 to 10 degrees

KevinWhiteJA :

Usually the Leds flash to give an error code...as the LED is not flashing I believe either the Limit assembly or the Logic board might be bad

KevinWhiteJA :

If the Limit switch contacts and cams are looking fine then it is the Logic board that seems to have gone bad

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

does this have limit switches? surely these newer type of units work on current sense and time/counting?

JACUSTOMER-3jp68nyt- :

Sorry Kevin, but this is going nowhere. I am not one bit further forward than I was an hour ago. Let's waste no more time on it.