Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

gas oven wont turn off

Customer Question

gas oven won't turn off
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

Does the spindle turn when you turn the oven off?

Andrew Smith :

can you compare the spindle position when on and off with the control knob off?

Andrew Smith :

Does it stay on at high or low flame?

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

The oven is very old, there are no markings around the spindel. I can turn the flame higher and quite low but not off

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

The control knob should be vertical when it's off though.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

But we cannot seem to turn it past a certain point.

Andrew Smith :

will it not go back to vertical?

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

It will, but the flame is still on - when vertical the flame is at a medium setting

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

It should also control the grill in the oven, but that doesn't seem to be working either

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

I have a model number - scg7521W

Andrew Smith :

You need a new thermostat fitting

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

ohdear - that doesn't sound like something easily done at this time

Andrew Smith :

This will consist of a thermostat phial that sits in the oven and the controller that connects to the gas bar at the front

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

gas bar at the front?

Andrew Smith :

Not easy - a professional job

Andrew Smith :

Behind the knob where it connects to

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

so where all the controls are - for the stove as well as the oven?

Andrew Smith :

Yes - It should not stop you cooking your dinners, but perhaps you can disconnect the gas hose at rear when not in use?

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

We've had a look around the back - as we're not keen on leaving it on overnight - but we cannot see a switch.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

other than the gas for the flat - there's a main control - but this will also turn off the heating.

Andrew Smith :

No, where the hose connects, it should come off like a bayonet fitting - push down unscrew half a turn and lift off?

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

Won't that mean gas will then pipe into my kitchen?

Andrew Smith :

no, it should seal itself it is has been fitted in the last 10 years

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

hmn - it's quite old. But I'll have a look.

Andrew Smith :

If you push down on the hose connection and spin the collar through about 90 degrees then it should disconnect itself and seal the gas

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

just shifting the oven to get around the back of it...

Andrew Smith :

no problem - let me know

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

Hi. We've disconnected the hose as directed. The oven flame has gone out. So far as we can tell there is no gas coming in and we can't smell anything.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

So - for xmas dinner :) - we just reconnect the gas just before we are about to light the oven?

Andrew Smith :

Yes, the oven will have a safety device that will not let gas through until it is lit, you may get pilot gas but if you light it immediately after it is connected it should get you through Christmas until you can get it repaired or replaced. The last time I had to spend so much time stripping down a cooker and replacing the thermostat the invoice was about £280

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

Holy Moly! That's going to be quite the cost. Hopefully my landlords will look after their cooker when I can get hold of them though.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

Thank you so much for your advice - feeling much better.

Andrew Smith :

If it is their cooker then it will be down to them to fix it. You should call them tomorrow to get it sorted, but at least you can cope until it is.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

I will be giving them a call tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed they will get the job done.

JACUSTOMER-hd8sl8h8- :

Thank you for your help!

Andrew Smith :

No problem - come back if you need me

Did you get the information you require?