Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

American style Samsung fridge freezer. Freezer ok but running

Customer Question

American style Samsung fridge freezer. Freezer ok but running a lot. Fridge temp 10o and sound. No fan? Do you know of a local repair man?
Pat Tanner Alcester Warks B49
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you post the model number of the appliance please?
It's on a label inside the fridge.

Take the drawers in the fridge out, is there any ice in the vents or on the panel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was unable to reply further as the program was telling me that my email address had been used by someone else and wouldn't let me in!

To continue: Model No RSH1NBASI. Yesterday I took everything out of the fridge as the temp was up to 12o. There was ice underneath the veg. drawers and ice on the vents and on the panel. This has now been removed by putting pan of hot water and using hair dryer so it is now dry. This am temp is now 8o but still too high. The freezer side seems to be running quite a lot but no sound from the fridge side.

I felt that the temp has been wrong on the fridge for several days - I could smell food but the temp was showing 2o. However, when I took the plug out, left it for 5 mins and replaced plug, the temp then gave the true reading of 13o and has since gone up to 17o. Since getting rid of the ice the temp has come down a little but there is no noise from the fan?

What else can I do?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thnaks for that.

That's only surface ice you've got rid of.
.
You need to do a full defrost of the appliance.
(You can't just defrost the fridge, it's both fridge and freezer).
.
Empty the machine and unplug it.
Open the doors.
Leave it for at least 36 hours, in a warm room, to fully defrost.
.
Close the doors, plug it back in and it should work again.
.
If the fault returns within a few days, you have a fault in the defrost circuit of the fridge.
.
If this is the case, click here to find a local engineer
.
If you can't find a local engineer (Not a lot will work on Samsung products) then you could try the British Gas fixed price repair offer.
.
Click here for the British Gas offer

Basically, your fan is likely jammed with ice.
This is why the cooling fails in the fridge.

See how it goes with the defrost and get back to me if you need more help.
.
Hope this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your reply was helpful but am unable to do anything right now. As its Christmas and I've got 7 people coming to stay today with a freezer totally full of food, I just cannot unplug machine to defrost until tomorrow evening at earliest. I've now paid £6 for someone to ask me my model no of machine and a possible further amount to follow.
How do I get back to you after at least 3 days (allowing time for defrost)?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Not sure what you mean by you've paid me £6 to ask for your model number and more to follow.
Who has asked you to pay more?

I've given you the advice to help you possibly cure the fault yourself, or, if it's faulty, how to get it repaired.
You only asked for a local repairer. I've done much more than that.

You receive emails with links to your question.
Use them to return here.