Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

We had a firecharm installed 6months ago . Blue flames appear

Customer Question

We had a firecharm installed 6months ago . Blue flames appear at the botton of the glass but the installer says the fire is ok and the flue is at fault causing a down draught. I do not understand how we had a valor black beauty for 15 years and never had this problem. I am not happy. The installer says its a job for a slater. Got a slater but he says it has to be a corgi approved installer and he cannot do it . The Corgi installer says our ridge flue is the problem but why ? It was never a problem for 15years. Wish I had purchased another black beauty but I liked the style of the firecharm. What do I do now. The fire is under warranty but the installer washes his hands of it.
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 3 years ago.

Andrew Smith :

What was wrong with the old fire.

Andrew Smith :

Some fires need more of a pull to make them work better

Andrew Smith :

Precast flue chimneys with ridge vents are always the worst for fitting gas fires on.

Andrew Smith :

Did the installer check the old flue before fitting the fire?

Andrew Smith :

Can you ventilate the room more so the chimney can create more of a pull?

Andrew Smith :

Can you fit a different ridge vent to increase the height of the flue and therefore create more pull?

Andrew Smith :

The installer should have looked at all these options with you if he was any good

Andrew Smith :

If the fire has a problem with the pull then lighting at full flame for 10 will heat the chimney - do you still have the problem then?

Did you get the information you require?