Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511
Appliance

I have a Potterton Promax 15 SL boiler and every 4 to 5 hours

it start to emit a... Show More
it start to emit a very loud low frequency noise which only stops when the RESET button is depressed or the power is interrupted. Any idea as to what could be the cause of this issue?
Show Less
replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like the fan bearings are wearing (normally start to notice when the boiler is hot) when was the last time it was serviced?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

About a year ago, how would a reset stop a noisy bearing?

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 years ago.
Only if it had chance to cool down again before restarting.
Do you have to press the reset button - is there a fault light?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

There are no lights on the control panel to illuminate, there is only the RESET button. I don't allow any cool down time, just push that button and all is fine again for the next few hours (about 4 to 5).

If you put your hand on the case while it is making the noise can you feel it vibrating?
Check over the next couple of hours and let me know, also if you can hear the noise through the flue?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

OK I will come back to you with that information when it next starts that noise, may be some while as it is a random event.

No problem - I will be around
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Like the rule of Mr Sod, if you are waiting for something to happen it won't! However it just has so I was able to check the items you requested.

Whilst the noise was happening the case was vibrating but not very strongly pressing the case with ones hands did not reduce the noise level at all, as to the flue it is two floors up on the outside and it being very heavily pouring down with rain I was not that inclined to get out the ladder and climb up to it however I can report that the noise was audible from the outside.

Hope that helps and sorry for the delay.

ok, if the vibration is coming from the boiler then it will be one of 2 things; the burner or the fan.
Are you able to take the case off and monitor the noise to pinpoint the cause?
Did you get the information you require?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I am now back at work so I will have to wait until the weekends before I can get the cover off (need to find out how first!) and check for your suggestion. I did notice that the burner flame was not varying when the noise was apparent and was a good clean blue flame (no yellow tips).

Will let you know the result when I have it.

There will be two screws underneath and either two more at the top or it hooks off.
Let me know what you find.