Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

hoover vhd 8142 washing machine. Powers up, but will not start

Customer Question

hoover vhd 8142 washing machine. Powers up, but will not start on any program. Door security light continues to flash continuously
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is the washer and have you tried to leave it unplugged for around 3-4 minutes ?

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

We think the machine is 4-5 years old and No I haven't tried unplugging - but have just unplugged it now

KevinWhiteJA :

ok...do you hear any kind of clicking or any other sound from the washer ?

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

No - none at all

KevinWhiteJA :

ok let me know if anything changes after it is plugged back ?

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

will do - give me a couple of mins

KevinWhiteJA :

sure no problem

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Ok - Plugged in, turned dial to spin - appropriate lights come on, heard one click which I guess is door solenoid as door is now locked. Pressed start, door security light continues to flash instead of staying on, nothing else happens.

KevinWhiteJA :

and you are sure door is getting locked ? What about the water inlet valve, does it fill fine ?

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

I'm as sure as I can be that the door is closed correctly. The last time the machine worked, (yesterday) it filled OK

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

The door definately locks when you select a program - because you have to turn dial back to off and wait two minutes before it will open

KevinWhiteJA :

ok..

KevinWhiteJA :

can you try to clean the drain pump assembly located inside the bottom of the unit

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

ok will have a look

KevinWhiteJA :

also open the door and try to push the bolt in & out as it sounds like it is sticking, (not engaging) and if this is the case then
the washer won't work while the door is locked.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Removed pump filter - cleared a small amount of gunge. Impeller looks good, pipeways are clear of debris - so no reason for water not to flow. There was only a tiny amount of water when I opened the filter so machine is draining OK.

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Will now try to work door lock manually

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

ok sure

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

I have worked the door lock several times from the inside. it moves freely. The door is latching correctly and the solenoid locks it when a program is selected. However, the door light continues to flash and the machine does not start.

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

I have tried moving the lock mechanism inside the machine while it is switched on and a program selected, just in case anything had stuck or there was a loose connection - but the machine does not start.

KevinWhiteJA :

The pump drains the water fine and there is no hum or any other kind of sound from the bottom of the unit...right ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I still believe that the door lock mechanism is bad and needs replacement...as the control is working fine, so is the drain pump assembly...you can try to check the connections between the door lock and the control unit before replacing the door lock assembly

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Yes, the machine drained correctly last time it worked. There is no sound at all from the machine apart from the one click when the door lock solenoid operates. How do I remove the door lock switch? Can I test it with a multimeter? How can I test the connections between switch and control unit?

KevinWhiteJA :

You can check this video if you want to replace the door lock mechanism yourself...you can test it with a multimeter for continuity...just take apart the control and check if all connections are ok

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

OK - will do. I'll get back to you

KevinWhiteJA :

ok sure....is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Hi Kevin, the video doesn't help unfortunately as My door lock has no screws. just two plastic pins where the screws are shown. I've tried pushing them in - but nothing happens. Any ideas?

KevinWhiteJA :

The video was just to give you an idea on how to uninstall the door lock assembly...basically I don't have a service manual for this model number..

JACUSTOMER-amxf7k4q- :

Door lock disassembled, functions correctly when powered up. Leads to control board all ok.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and what about the control board, does it look fine ? If the connections are ok and the door lock is fine then it is the electronic control that is bad and needs replacement