Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Hi my vaillant ecomax is showing f28 lock out code it is not

Customer Question

Hi my vaillant ecomax is showing f28 lock out code it is not the ignition as it is lighting and running for about 20 secs it then stops and tries to carry on several times before going to lock out the air pipe duct has been checked and ok
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

and can you please tell me the model number of your Vaillant Ecomax

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

I put it in in 2005 it is ecomax 835

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

when was it last serviced ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

its been serviced every year last time august

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

you are sure ignitions if fine ? what about the pressure ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

the ignition is ok the pressure is 1.5 bar i have been doing boilers for 20 plus years up until 6 months a go and can not work this problem out it says in manual ignition or air intake

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

F28 is usually caused because of more than 2-3 things...if ignition is fine, air duct is fine, even the igniter is fine then the problem is with the gas supply

KevinWhiteJA :

if the gas supply is fine then the gas valve should be checked....and also I believe the seals should be checked for any leaks

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

you can feal the gas selanoid clicking it lights then the spark stops and it burns for about 20 secs you then hear the selenoid click of and it goes out it will do the same thing 2 or 3 times thenit goes to lock out the incoming gas pressure is ok can not check burner pressure as will not run long enough

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and what about the main heat exchanger seal ? Does it appear fine ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

the main seal is new

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

Did you take off its case ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean to check if everything inside is fine

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

i have had the full burner out and cleaned the heat exchanger has been brushed and cleaned and rinsed out through condensing pipe all seals replaced on heat exchanger all joints on fan and air intakes checked and replaced

KevinWhiteJA :

what about the four burner seals ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

i have not had the burner of as they say if their are no visible cracks on burner you have nothing to service

KevinWhiteJA :

well everything else seems fine so I think it has to do with the burner seals...

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

i have had these boilers runing with no seals left in them even the main heat exchanger seal missing and melted air pipes

KevinWhiteJA :

yes..I understand :) but what do you think then is causing the issue ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

how does it detect the flame is lit

KevinWhiteJA :

PCB ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean what makes you think it is the flame detector ? I can be the pcb then if you are sure everything else is fine

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

but their are no sensers in burner chamber the only wires to there are ignition lead and ignition earth

KevinWhiteJA :

have you check the PCB ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

only vis check for burn marks and fuses checked

KevinWhiteJA :

ok but I still think it is the PCB ...I mean faulty flame sensor is a different error code ...but still if you want to check you can

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

i am going to have to contact vaillant technical unfortunatly not there til mon 6th jan just going to have to smell and be cold till then

KevinWhiteJA :

ok however, two things I will check is the burner seals and the PCB....anything else I can assist you with today ?

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

ok thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome...you can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Happy New Year :)

JACUSTOMER-qagwzh49- :

for got more than he knows

KevinWhiteJA :

Thank You for rating it as poor service even though I tried to help you...anyways I hope your issue gets resolved