KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

The red light keeps coming on as if I need to replace the bag

Customer Question

The red light keeps coming on as if I need to replace the bag but the bag isn't full. I've taken it out and put it back again but the red light comes on after about 5 seconds and then switches the machine off. There is no suction either.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me complete model number of the unit

KevinWhiteJA :

12:18 AM

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : It's an x4 pet
KevinWhiteJA :

ok, how old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : About 5 years
KevinWhiteJA :

Is it solid red or does it blink ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : Solid
KevinWhiteJA :

Solid red means that the battery is fully discharged

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : I didn't know there was a battery! What's it for and does that mean that I have to replace the battery or is it essentially broken?
KevinWhiteJA :

what about the motor, does it come on ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : Yes but for less than 30 seconds then the Hoover switches itself off
KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

and are you sure everything is cleaned in there ?

KevinWhiteJA :

what about the brush roller ? Does it appear fine ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : There doesn't appear to be any blockages. Haven't replaced the filter for a while but even so that has never knocked the whole machine out before. The brush roller had a lot of stuff wrapped around it so I cleaned all that off before I contacted you but it didn't seem to make any difference.
KevinWhiteJA :

Well basically this problem appears due to clogs...if there are no clogs and the roller & filter is fine...then it is time to replace the battery which is located inside the power head...so in this model the power head has to be replaced

KevinWhiteJA :

Do you hear any different types of sound when it works for those 5-30 seconds ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : No
KevinWhiteJA :

It can be a loose wire in the circuit as well that is causing the problem...if you want to check it yourself you can take it apart and check the circuit housing

KevinWhiteJA :

You can also open the orange/gray door on the bottom of the power head and look through to check debris. Sometimes the clog is at the top wand where it joins the vacuum but again it has to be checked completely...

KevinWhiteJA :

are we still online ?

JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : Sorry have got caught up with dinner and am no longer on line. Can we finish in the morning?
JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : Sorry had to stop for dinner etc.. Can we finish in the morning?
JACUSTOMER-34vjbln4- : Had to stop
KevinWhiteJA :

Ok sure, let me know when you are back