KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

samsung f/freezer model rs20ccms.

Customer Question

i have a samsung "american style" f/freezer model rs20ccms. the auto-defrost aint working. i replaced heater element and defrost sensor but has not fixed the fault. the appliance is 9 years old. i'm getting by by removing the interior freezer back panel & defrosting the freezer heat-exchanger every two weeks or so or when i see the fridge temp indicator flash. is it worth investing in having an engineer call?

Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

KevinWhiteJA :

How did this problem start ?

KevinWhiteJA :

This is a common problem with Samsung RS models...let me know when you are back so that I can help you

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

The problem started when i noticed the lcd display for fridge "flashing". it was above temperature of course and i sussed out fairly quickly the build-up of ice was restricting the air-flow from fridge>freezer>fridge. I deiced with aid of hair-dryer and have done ever-since at frequencies governed by humidity of air in kitchen!

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

as I said this is a common issue with these Samsung RS models

KevinWhiteJA :

usually there is a repair kit available which solves the problem

KevinWhiteJA :

have you tried using that ?

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

as i mentioned i replaced the defrost heating element and the defrost sensor. which repair kit would you recommend?

KevinWhiteJA :

the repair kit contains defrost timer, heating element and the thermostat...as you have already replaced two of these then test the thermostat

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

ok, you don't happen to have a part-number for the thermostat?

KevinWhiteJA :

If you want to buy the complete kit you can buy it from here

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

yes i saw that, that kit does not contain the heating element, seems you are referring to a different kit?

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

i'll test the thermal fuse to see if it's open circuit

KevinWhiteJA :

if you want to buy just the thermostat, you can buy from here

KevinWhiteJA :

yes, if you can test then please do

KevinWhiteJA :

it is usually one of these three parts which goes bad with these units

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

just to close this; the thermal fuse was open circuit. i replaced and freezer is working fine.

JACUSTOMER-61f4td9d- :

thanks for your assistance, i needed the reassurance to continue the hunt for a fix. you satisfied this and i have saved several hundred quid on a replacement!