Techdesk
Techdesk, Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK
13782322

I have a Zanusi ZWF1421W washing machine it is not taking in

Customer Question

I have a Zanusi ZWF1421W washing machine it is not taking in water, I have checked the filter on the cold water supply and it is clean. I have tried resetting the board by holding pause and half load then turning on still the same problem. It sounds as if the pump is trying to pump. Where do I look next?
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is Rob and I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Can you tell me does it do the final spin correctly?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It doesnt get passed start as it is not taking any water in, is it possible to check the final spin on its own?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve

You should be able to select just the spin cycle on its own

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Found it! Selected spin, nothing happens but again it sounds as if the pump is trying to do something, the drum is not spinning

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve
Great
It sounds like the inlet valve has failed.
This is like an electric tap.
Turn off the power, remove lid.
The inlet valve is what the inlet hose attaches to.
If you have a meter, remove the wiring from one of the tags. Read across the coil for continuity.
I suspect its open circuit, so you will need to replace it.

Let me know if you want the part and Ill send you a link to the part and a video on how to vhange it. Its easy with a few basic tools.

In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rob,

Done that there are two inlet valves on the incoming cold mains, each side by side. Diverts the water to different trays. Checked both and no continuity, both read about 1200 which seems about right. Any further thoughts.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve

I a bit confused

There should be a single valve, fed by the single cold feed. There is no hot feed.
The valve is in two halves. Is that what you have?
Did you take the wires off one of the terminals on both coils?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The incoming cold water feed (NO hot feed) enters the machine at the rear left top into a plastic manifold. The manifold has the cold inlet on one side and two outlets on the other side. The outlet pipes run parrallel to each other one feeds the Wash tray for the washing powder and it looks like the other feeds the prewash tray. I disconnected the two wires and simply read the resistance across the switch on the first valve and then did the same on the other.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve

Strange!
And there is no error message in the display?

Is the door locked light lit up when you select a new cycle?

Have you checked the main filter at the bottom of the machine?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This machine has no error message facility as far as I can see. There is no individual door locked light but when the door is closed I tried turning the wash cycle on and the start light flashes. I wonder if the start light should be continuous to indicate door locked or does it only go continuous when operating?

The outlet filter is also clean.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve
The diagrams I have for this shows a door lock light. There must be more than one version, apologies.

Open the door and there should be a sticker there. Can you let me have the PNC number or product number.

There should be a small lcd display that shows error messages?

Try selecting a new cycle and then opening the door. Is it locked or can you open it?

Rob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No LCD Display. The product number is on the rear of the machine, XXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve

Can you repost the number but put the letter A directly in front so it looks like

A123456/0

Also, any joy with door locking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A914521003

Unable to solve the door lock there does not seem to be any visual indicator. The door is however held closed for about 45 secs after the wash cycle is turned off.

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Steve

Im sorry, I cant find anything at Zanussi with that product number.

Ill have to opt out.

This means that if someone else has this information, they will respond to you directly.
In the meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this question, as this will lock your question

Rob
Rob

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rob,

How will I know if somebody else picks this up?

Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.
You will get a message just like you have when I have replied to you. If you are not on line, you will get an email and can click on the link in that

ALl the best

Rob
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Are the buttons on your machine across the facia or up and down?