Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Hob just went dead ,power is ok

Customer Question

Hob just went dead ,power is ok
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Can you check the make/model number please? I'm not finding anything with the information posted.

How is the hob installed?
Is it hard wired or via a plug?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Baumatic bhc607 /bhc607ss,hard wired from cooker switch ,our oven still working,if you switch off power wait a short time ,switch on , the no 8 comes on at the heat settings at all points and red square at child point ,ta
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Was the hob in use at the time it failed?

I assume it's the hob that's lighting up with the square and the number 8.

Does this stay or does the hob "die" after a short period?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yip but not sure when went of as just making tea
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, there's 2 possibilities here.

1, it's overheated and is in protect mode.
Allow it to cool for at least an hour, then turn the power on.
Let me know what happens.
.
2. That depends on the outcome of 1.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well switched on ,and the numbers came on for a second ,switched of ,tried again ,no luck ?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

When it comes on, does it go off straight away again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.

Unfortunately, the symptoms are pointing to a faulty power board in the hob.

With Baumatic having gone out of business it's rather difficult to get the technical/parts manuals but I'll see if I have one at work.

How are your diy skills?
Would you be able to take the appliance apart and test parts with a multimeter?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm no sparkie so prob no is the answer
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
OK, thanks for that.
.
If it was child lock, then it would show LO in the display.
You haven't said it shows this, but, try pressing and holding the key button and see what happens.

I don't think anything will happen but I want to rule this out before saying you need an engineer in to sort this out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried with power on .and power of no good !
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.
Hiya,
Sorry, like I said, just wanted to rule it out too.

You likely need a new power board, at least.
It's shutting down whenever power is applied.

The safety cut out should only affect whichever ring has overheated, I've never come across one where all 4 rings have overheated.

Once again, just in case, leave it off overnight.
The worst overheat can take 8 hours for the cut out to reset.

If it's still the same tomorrow, then you'll need to have it looked at and most likely have the poer board replaced.
.
Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi This is tech Michael, just wanted to add, that I agree with Techdeck as well:-)
Have a great day! We can help you with the replacement if you need?
Tech Michael