Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

BOSCH FRIDGE FREEZER MODEL KGU 3201 GB/01. ALARL FLASHING.NO

Customer Question

BOSCH FRIDGE FREEZER MODEL KGU 3201 GB/01.
ALARL FLASHING.NO REFRIG OR FREEZER FAN RUNNING.
HAVE HAD 4 POWER CUTS ON THE LAST WEEK.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, Welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

17?years

KevinWhiteJA :

17 years ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

yes

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, what is the current temperature for fridge and freezer ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

fridge says =10 freezer says =3

KevinWhiteJA :

ok..is it giving any error code as well ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

no error codes on display

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, can you please unplug the unit, empty the freezer and take the rear panel inside the freezer off....check the evaporator if it is blocked with any ice

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

how do i remove the panel

KevinWhiteJA :

There should be screws holding it in place.... what you have to do is, take those screws out and the panel should then unclip easily and come out. If it's iced up and frozen in place, it won't come out easily.

KevinWhiteJA :

Please let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

no screws - recessed plastic clips which need to be compressed looks like-cant reach them-there is another plastic cap which reveals copper piping behind it -it is situated just below the fan and has a capillary attached to it

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, remove the cap and check if there is ice build up on those coils

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

now have removed the panel and the evaporator is not iced up

KevinWhiteJA :

ok

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

what next

KevinWhiteJA :

can you check the compressor ? is it too hot to touch ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

unit is boxed in no access to rear of unit.

KevinWhiteJA :

I don't know which coils you have checked but I was talking about the evaporator coils which can be checked after you take off the rear panel of the unit

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

the coils are right in front of me -they are not iced up and the capillary goes to the drier

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, basically when the fan is not working it is due to lot of ice...I will suggest you to take the unit out and then remove the rear panel...after it is done you have to check for any ice build up at the back of the unit...if there is no ice then you will have to replace the fan motor as the fan in the freezer compartment of a refrigerator affects the operational efficiency of the refrigerator. The cold air to the whole refrigerator originates in the freezer compartment and then is circulated downward with the assistance of the freezer compartment fan.

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

does the compressor have to be running for the fan to be running

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

can i switch the power back on with the back still removed i n the freezer compartment

KevinWhiteJA :

no just place everything back and then pull it out to check the rear panel and compressor

KevinWhiteJA :

shall I wait while you are working on it ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

now have fridge freezer removed from boxing - sorry about the delay - what next

KevinWhiteJA :

as said you have to remove the rear panel and check for any ice build up...also let me know if the compressor is too hot

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

no ice build up compressor warm but hasn't been running

KevinWhiteJA :

compressor is not running ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

no - u said to unplug before i removed the rear panel

KevinWhiteJA :

ok, just plug it back while the rear is removed and tell me what happens

KevinWhiteJA :

just check if the compressor running

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

compressor not running and all indicator lights ARE FLASHING

KevinWhiteJA :

do you also hear any clicking sound ?

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

no clicking noise

KevinWhiteJA :

There are few things that should be tested...you have to check the compressor first and then the control module...the part that is bad needs to be replaced...if the compressor wont even turn on then it seems it is time to get a new one

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

can the start device for the compressor not be changed first

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that should be tested first and then the compressor

KevinWhiteJA :

that is the start run capacitor which is located near the compressor

JACUSTOMER-yhusylmv- :

ok thank you - sorry no time left today but will check the starter tomorrow.

KevinWhiteJA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

KevinWhiteJA :

You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges